Chapter 9

Waking up with a hangover was not on my priority list that day, but it managed to creep its way to the top. Sunlight singed my irises as I opened my eyes slightly and I had to turn my face into the white pillow just to soothe the migraine I could feel coming on. My skin was burning and I needed to stretch out my arms over the duvet just to cool them down. They hit Derek's back and I frowned, disappointed that I couldn't stretch them out any further, until I pushed him.

He fell to the floor with a loud thud that shook the room. I didn't care. I could finally stretch out my arms and bask in the cool air. With a groan, he stood up and yanked the duvet towards him so that I was dragged to the floor. I landed at his feet with a scowl on my face, holding my lips tightly closed out of fear I would throw up.

He smirked. "Revenge has a sweet taste."

I scoffed and rolled over. Cocooning myself in the duvet on the wooden floor required less energy than standing up and getting back into bed, therefore making it the preferable option.

Derek frowned. "You don't usually get hangovers."

"I am aware," I groaned into the sheets. Only one other time had I ever gotten a hangover, which I was grateful for. I was lucky with things like that: no hangovers, I rarely got infections after injuries and any viral infections like stomach bugs or the flu never affected me. The only time I had ever gotten seriously ill -- excluding injuries -- was involving an incident with a target when I was nineteen. She slipped some poison into one of my drinks and I passed out. If Alistair didn't give Scotty the antidote to administer in time, the results would have been just as fatal for our party as it was for the other.

"Strange," said Derek. "You must have drank a lot to get like this."

"Apparently so." I inhaled as I rubbed my aching eyes before resting my hands over my lids and sighing. "Is this how everyone else feels after a night of mild drinking?"

"Not exactly mild, but yeah," he agreed.

I groaned. "I'm watching what I drink from now on because this? This is just cruel."

He chuckled at me. "I'll make you some food. Will that help?"

"That depends." I poked my head over the top of the covers. "What food is it?"

"Bacon, eggs and coffee?"

"Then definitely. Just give me...five minutes."

I closed my eyes but knew he was frowning at me. "You're just going to lie on the floor?" I mumbled a yes and heard a low laugh before he walked out.

***

Eventually I crawled out of the crumpled sheets to face daylight and have a shower, deciding to turn on the cold water instead and regretting my decision a split second later. Still, it woke me up more than a hot shower would have. After getting dressed, I went into the kitchen to meet Derek.

There was a coffee waiting for me on the counter when I got there. With a smile, I dragged myself onto the stool and began to drink it while still hot.

"Did that shower help?"

"Loads," I admitted. "Still got a headache, though."

"Fear not, because chef Barnes has you covered." He beamed as he scooped up the bacon with a spatula and plated it up.

My lips twitched in amusement. "Chef Barnes?"

"I do all the cooking between us!"

"Because I like you enough to not poison you."