WINDING ROADS

A/N: I'm writing this 337 metres up in the sky in Moscow 😂 In the TV Tower which is MENTAL. Anyways I guess you could say I'm 'up in the sky' - {the picture above is my view}. Soon will be on the overnight train to St Petersburg (writing this on a Tuesday) and will have no Wi-Fi so the time this is up I will have slept on a moving train with nowhere to piss. 🇷🇺

I can't remember the last time I had a job interview. Genuinely. It was that long ago.

The BBC building was fairly grotty to be honest. In my head I pictured a structure similar to the Winter Palace or Empire State Building with plush full length lounge chairs and red velvet curtains. That is not what I got. Instead it was damp with peeling walls and flickering light fixtures with decaying insects behind the plastic panes. Shudder.

My cup of tea was lukewarm, my biscuits soggy (pre-dunking!) and throughout the interview all the guy could do was stare at my chest... which is non-existent by the way.

But however, the people were extremely attentive and wanted to ensure I was as comfortable as possible but sadly didn't do their jobs very well. If I make the cut, I'll change this place up.

Radio is something I previously would have never considered but maybe it'll be good for me? When Terry phoned to tell me he'd 'pulled some strings' and got me an interview past the application deadline, I considered declining but Liam shook me out of it. "What do you want Arden? To be a fuckin' top dog or unemployed your whole life?!" I chose the first option - that is if I even get the job...

Outside the building it's freezing. We're just beginning to see the signs of autumn arriving - frosted leaves scatter down from the trees and flatten themselves onto the rain streaked pavements. There's a biting chill nipping at my skin too so thank God I've got this scarf on else I would probably freeze to death!

Before I can snatch a taxi, my phone starts ringing in my pocket. Flipping it open - I smile.

"Did someone order a taxi?"

I chuckle and peer out across the road which is littered with debris. "Apparently I did." I cross the road quickly, scarf trailing in the wind behind me and open the car door, immediately feeling the warm air smacking into my face. He's got the heat on full blast which I am grateful for, and not only that, but there's a thermos waiting for me in the cup holder.

"For a taxi service you're extremely attentive." I laugh, peeling off my coat and throwing it onto the backseat. The thermos is boiling and the tea inside is perfect, exactly how I like it.

"That's what I like to hear." He smirks, pulling out of the space and joining the fast lane. "How was the interview?"

Taking a sip of scorching tea, I reply hesitantly, "I think it was okay - I mean, I was fine but the guy didn't seem overly impressed." Lie. He seemed very happy with my tits.

He pouts whilst pausing at the traffic lights briefly only to set off again straight away. "You would've been great Arden, any fucker can see how talented you are." I've learnt to interpret these comments as compliments and find my heart growing all warm and fuzzy in my chest. "Fuck all this traffic." He grumbles, poised ready to have a fight with the driver infront.

"It's okay, there's no rush." I soothe but inside I'm pissed off about the traffic too. All I really want to do is run a bath and have some tea.

He only moans in response so I drink my beverage in silence, watching as the traffic gradually moves forward ahead.

"Liam-" I begin, taking the drink away from my mouth and staring out of the window, "we missed the slip road?"

Liam carries on driving as if I never spoke, only shrugging softly and smiling, "I know."

"What do you mean, you know?"

"What day is it."

"What?"

"What day is it!?"

I groan. "Friday."

Liam rolls his eyes, "Friday the..."

"Seventeenth? Liam what does this have to do with anything?" I'm too tired for any of his games, I need to sleep- shit. The seventeenth?

"We're going to Manchester to visit your mam."

It is mum's birthday today and after all the stuff that's been going on with me and the job and Liam, I've totally forgotten.

I can feel him judging me. Liam would never forget his mum's birthday. Never. And I've missed mine. "I'm sorry-"

"No, don't." He says sympathetically. "It's been busy, I get that." He points at the back seat.

I turn to see a present wrapped hapharzadly peeking underneath my coat. I breathe a sigh of relief, "Thank you so much-"

"You don't know what it is yet." He smirks which worries me.

"As long as it's not drugs or anything to do with Bruce Forysth we are all good."

"So... are dildos okay then?"

I slap his arm. "Mum doesn't need dildos. She's got Richard." I explain smugly, arms crossed against my chest.

Liam chuckles before laughing manically.

"What?" I moan. It pisses me off when people start laughing out of the blue without explanation - sorry, is there something on my face mate?

Liam pulls himself together as he drives the car onto the motorway, "So you're tellin' me that women throw all their dildos away the second they get with someone?"

I shrug, feeling suddenly very embarrassed. "That's not what I'm saying... What is it then?"

"I pulled a few strings..."

I groan, "Now you've got me worried!"

He ignores me, smiling to his self smugly and focussing on the road. "Just don't think about it."

Even more worried after that.

We pull over at the train station and Liam drags out a ready packed suitcase and mum's present from the car.

I yawn and lean against the door, letting my eyes slowly shut as the cold air snakes around my limbs. The last thing I want to do right now is sit on a crowded train and then socialise.

Liam slams the suitcase on the ground to wake me up and I groan, "You better not fall asleep on me on the train." He mutters, crossing the road to the station.

I jog to catch up with him - something that isn't at all easy in these heels - and take his free hand in mine. "I'm sorry if you think I'm being ungrateful, I'm absolutely trashed and stressed about this job but you're right. Family comes first."

He pauses on the pavement and holds my hand a little tighter, "Yes it does."