III

Another day came. Charlotte woke up early due to the endless chirping of the birds outside the window of her bedroom and because of the blaring noise from her alarm clock. She stifled a yawn and stretched out her arms as she got up from bed. Then she proceeded downstairs where the cat was silently sleeping, a small quiet snore was heard every once a while throughout the silent house.

As if sensing her presence though, the cat woke up immediately, meowing loudly, making it known he was ready for breakfast. The noise that it was making wasn't that loud, but in the early morning in a quiet house, it was defeaning, like a whaling ambulance.

The girl grabbed a small bowl and filled it with food, offering it to the cat, silencing the cat once and for all. Mun, who she had just named, meowed with glee as he started munching down on his food. Silence at last, though Charlotte decided to turn on the radio to overtake the peaceful silence. Some moments later, heavy footsteps were heard as the owner of these could be heard going down the stairs, not even trying to be discreet about it.

"Are you leaving now, grandpa?" Charlotte inquired.

"Yes, I'm just going to grab a coffee by the café since I need to be early today. I might be home late tonight for I'll be attending a convention after work. No need to wait up for me though since the convention will be finished near midnight. Don't stay up too late also or you'll turn out like a vampire with huge dark bags underneath your eyes," Rudolf said in a hurry, it almost seemed he was rapping by how fast he had said all those words in just two minutes.

"M'kay. I'll also be going out. I'll be taking Mun to the vet, hoping that they'll be able to treat his wounds and provide whatever he needs."

'and after that, maybe go shopping for some clothes and books, ' she said in her mind.

"Alright! But be sure to be back by quarter to seven. And don't forget to lock the door, " he reminded her as he stepped out of the door.

The girl's grandfather closed it with a 'bang!' and walked to the direction of work with a pace as fast as a young turtle trying to win a race, whistling a tune of a song he had heard in the radio.

The two were alone in the house now. Charlotte locked the door, in fear of someone robbing their small and humble home, then went to her room upstairs to get ready. She cleaned herself then after bathing, changed into an oversized white shirt with some cat pattern print and a black skater skirt to match her top. She put on a mint scarf and her favorite pair of classic black converse, but not before wearing knee socks with some aesthetic prints.

Charlotte went downstairs and started making her breakfast. She made waffles, honey poured over it with strawberries on the side, then some toast with a spread of nutella, and brewed black coffee with a dash of sugar, just the way she liked it.

'Delicious,' she had thought.

After devouring her mini feast and giving some to the adorable black cat with the grumbling monstrous belly, she went to the front door. She decided to take a quick glance at the clock hanging above the coat rack only to see that it was already a few minutes passed eight, the vet should have already opened by now.

"Come on, Mun," she called out to her pet.

She picked up the mentioned cat and placed him inside a comfy basket, opening the door then walked out of the house and locked it.

After walking down a few streets, and passing by people who were out to shop and go some place else, also greeting the familiar kind faces, she finally reached Willow Lane, the quickest path to the vet on the other side of the town. Their town wasn't really a huge one but since she had other plans, she wanted the visit to the vet over and done with, asap.

Charlotte barely noticed as she was almost half of the street down, that the street was eerily empty. Quiet. Lifeless. No cars, no pedestrians, not even pigeons that were usually found on top of the tiles of the old houses.

There was nothing. No one. But somehow though, Charlotte felt that she was not alone. And no, it wasn't Mun who made her felt that way. It actually felt like someone was watching her, following her. So she stopped. She then heard voices. Screams of despair, which were like being sucked into a void of nothingness.

She hadn't immediately notices, but there was also a thick fog in the air, though it was clear enough for her to see. Charlotte suddenly stopped walking when she saw a shadowy figure. It was a silhouette of a man and due to curiosity again which always killed the cat in her, she went closer to get a better look. As she neared quietly to the man, she realized that it was the same person from the other day.

Charlotte thought that it was better for them to leave, let the man do his thing, but as she stepped back in a rush to get out of there, the pavement below her made a sound, a crunch barelg audible, which caused the man to stop whatever he was doing.

He turned around to face the girl, his eyes were now glowing bright bloody red in the fog. And his pupils resembled of a cat's, angered that he had just lost his prey, or excited he had just found one. The man slowly walked towards the now frightened girl. While the cat in the basket she was holding was now hissing loudly, as if ready to take on the much larger foe.

*
*
*

Soooo, that's it so far. Stay tuned for the next update, you all! Love ya guys! But I love my baby more, this is dedicated to you, love. ;)