IV

"You fool! Do you know what you had just done?!" the man's voice echoed across the empty street.

Charlotte couldn't answer. Her body was shaking badly, she couldn't stop. Why was she afraid? What was she so terrified of? She was never afraid of something before ever since she was just a child, so why now?

"Answer me!" he demanded her for an answer to which he knows she couldn't have.

"Well, to make it clear to you, you made me lose my one way ticket back to where I once came from. And you,"

"you human decided to suddenly just waltzed in when the most critical part of the event was to happen!" the man yelled, as if in pain.

She was terrified of him, that Charlotte knew since she couldn't even look directly at him. She took a few deep breath then looked at his face, trying to have an eye to eye contact with the man she was petrified of. It was hard for her to maintain the eye contact while trying to hide the obvious fear in her eyes.

"I... I'm sorry," she apologized.

She was shaking badly, she didn't know that simple action caused some tragic damages. And boy, was the male mad at her, his expression was hard to paint, it honestly looked like every demon written and not written in history was being portrayed through his facial expressions.

"Do you know how important that was?"

He grinded the ashes of the creature he had in his hands just a few moments ago that suddenly ignited into flames, burned after he was annoyingly disturbed.

The man, if he was a man, knew she didn't meant to make things go this way, he knew it was an accident. He wasn't angry at her, he was mad at his own damn self. He was certain he had set up all the precautionary measures needed to make anyone stir away from the street that morning, so what happened then?

"Argh! Now you have to help me," he yelled in frustration as he glared at the girl.

"Help? How can I be of any help to you?" Charlotte asked, confused at what the strange man said.

"Stop talking, will you? I can still try do it again but for it to work, you're going to help me. Now, come on."

He grabbed Charlotte by the hands and dragged her to god knows where.

"Is he out of his mind?"

She was still afraid of him, yes. But now, she wasn't sure. She was weirded out by everything. How it came to this, she didn't know. One thing she knew, she was just trying to escape, then one way another, the stranger who she had found handsome since the day before, who was apparently not human, was already dragging her around places in the town she didn't knew existed.

Charlotte's feet were now tired from all the running around they had done through the town. But finally, they reached the man's destination. It was an old bridge. The bridge looked like it was on the verge of falling apart any second now as she continued staring at it.

Not knowing why, it seemed very familiar to her. Charlotte's eyes skimmed over the view, looking for any clue to give off where they were now located. Her eyes then caught a sign, a big capital "LINK" was painted harshly on its old wood that seemed to survive through years of rain, hail and other earthly calamities. She had heard of the name before, or maybe she had seen the scene right before her, that she was certain of, but the question is where? Maybe she had read it in a book once, Charlotte thought.

While Charlotte was distracted for a short while, she didn't notice immediately that the man was now trying to do something and if she was right, he was trying to summon something, a portal perhaps. He kept muttering words that were incoherent, Charlotte couldn't understand a single word he said. But as the stranger kept saying strange words, his muttering grew louder. Charlotte could now hear what he was saying.

He kept on chanting, his gaze was focused on the sky. Then for a quick moment, glanced at Charlotte who was at the moment just staring at him from his back. Glaring, his eyes turned red as the stranger looked directly into Charlotte's eyes.

"This mess started because of you, you better help me clean it up," he spoke in her mind.

The girl didn't know how he was able to do that, but from everything she had seen since yesterday, so far, she wasn't at all shocked he had these kind of powers.

The male looked at the girl expectantly. Charlotte not knowing what to do, followed whatever he was doing. She copied what he was chanting, words in an unknown language, and also looked at where he was looking.

She chanted and chanted but she failed to notice that she had actually made a mistake. The mistake was barely noticeable, but to the man who came from a different world, it was clear as a crystal in broad daylight. Charlotte had chanted words that sounded similar to what he was saying, the key word: similar.

It was now too late for him to tell her to stop, to bring back the words she had let out of her mouth because now the sky turned dark all of a sudden. The clouds on the vast sky gathered all around them; the winds were howling so loudly like a ghost that it seemed like they were going to be blown away any moment now as it blew stronger every passing minute; and the almost dried river passing under the bridge suddenly came back to life, only to be fiercer than ever, making the solid foundation of the bridge shake.

*
*
*

Ohhhh! Another mistake! This wasn't in the manuscript we had submitted to our teacher, but the project was rushed so I decided I'd change the story a little bit and I found it to be more interesting this way. Please continue reading. Vote, comment and share this story guys.