Chapter 5: Questions That Need Answering

The title sounded noble but there was a sense of uneasiness that hung over us all as we departed from the council, the dwarves and elves and men all separated into their own groups and quickly trotted off to dinner. I needed answers, what was this One Ring?

I jumped as a hand touched my shoulder, Legolas was standing beside me with a troubled look on his face; I puffed out air and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Have you seen Gandalf?" I asked as I glanced around, "He is with Lord Elrond." Legolas said smoothly, nodding his head in the direction of Elrond's study, I should've known that's where he would be after everything that had just happened.

I quickly caught up with Gandalf who seemed to be deep in thought about everything that had just transpired during the meeting, none of us had planned on becoming part of a journey.

"Gandalf!" I called as I jogged up to his side, a weak and weary smile came across his face as he snapped back into this world, Lord Elrond was quickly approaching us as well.

"I need to know what this Ring can do," I pressed my lips together as I dreaded to hear the response to my question, Elrond and Gandalf exchanged looks quickly.

Gandalf smacked his lips together and frowned as he looked towards me.

"I was curious about the same thing back when Frodo was first given the Ring in the Shire, I rode to Gondor and studied through the histories. I eventually came across Isildur's account of what had happened back when Sauron was supposedly defeated." Gandalf sighed and pulled out his pipe.

"I discovered many things at that time, the Ring betrayed Isildur and now evil is stirring in Mordor and the Ring has awoken. It has heard it's master's call." Gandalf said ominously as he peered out over the landscape of Rivendell.

"I thought Sauron was destroyed?" I plopped down in a wicker chair as I tried to absorb this information. The dark lord back? He will cover the lands in a second darkness.

"The spirit of Sauron endured, his life force is bound to the Ring and the Ring survived." Elrond added slowly, watching my expression closely.

"Sauron has returned." Gandalf turned quickly, grimacing.

A long silence was held between the three of us, I didn't really know what to say. We were going into the heart of Mordor -or trying to- where there is thousands of orcs now.

"And you believe Frodo is the one to go against the great evil?" I broke the silence, both Elrond and Gandalf moved awkwardly and exchanged glances.

"I do not know." Elrond said quickly as he turned on his heel and trotted out of the room, I furrowed my brow and shook my head. This would be harder than any of us thought, even Gandalf.