A Sickening Feeling

Rolling over, I faced the window and the bright sunlight hit me in the face. I grimaced and moaned, turning to the other side. I tried to fall back asleep, but apparently my brain was working against my body or my will. 

My eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the light. When they were open some, I looked around my room, thinking of what I could do at all today. I want something to do, just to do, but, then again, I don't want to even leave my bed.

I sighed and sat up. I patted my hair, feeling the tangled mess of a bun on my head. Taking my hair down, I ran my fingers through my knots and gently untangled them. I looked to my side table and got my brush and proceeded with that, putting my hair into a temporary ponytail. Then, I got ready for my day.

I had two bowls of cereal this morning, thinking of today. I decided I'd go to work today. I could certainly put a smile on in that atmosphere. Being with smiling people made me want to smile. So, my smile would be half fake and half real. But, could I really do it? I didn't feel up to it at all. My life made a complete 180° turn when I got here. Then it flips on me when I just started adjusting. Today was a day I got more than enough sleep and everything just settled. My brain reminded me of what was going on. It fully processed everything now.

Maybe instead, I could join the others in their training. Squalo-San said he's not sure if he could train me or not. If he could, he'd call and I'd just tell Yamamoto Sensei I was leaving.

Finishing my breakfast, I checked the time. It was later than I'd been waking up lately, but, WAY earlier than I would be waking up in the other universe. I grabbed my snow white coat and left my home.

I started my walk to the shop, redoing my hair. I took it down and brushed my fingers through it again. It helps calm me and is relaxing to me. After a few minutes, I put my hair back up into a ponytail.

When I got there, I smiled as I went in, greeted by smiles and kind words in reply. I continued until I got to the kitchen in the back. Yamamoto Sensei was there getting a few things.

"Ahh. Emi-Chan. You're here today. Wonderful. Takeshi had something to do today so it's just you and I today. Let's work hard." he cheered as he went back out to the front with different fishes for his sushi.

"Yup. Here to work." I cheered, slightly dejected. He must have not heard my unenthusiastic reply because he continued to the front.

I sighed and went over to the corner and hung my coat on the hook and replaced it with an apron. I washed my hands after signing in and went out to the front, too.

It didn't start out very busy but, after about an hour and a half, it picked up a bit. Not to sound conceited, but I think some people were telling others I was here today so they came. Most of the people coming in tried to converse with me even though I had work. They are all very friendly but some, more than others, especially the older folk.

It was about lunch time and it steadied. Not too many people but a considerable amount. Everyone had their sushi and didn't seem to need anything so I sat by the counter for a second, needing to get off of my legs. The damages were starting to bother me.

I sat for a second and it really did help. Then someone entered. He looked around, not seeming pleased about anything. I walked up with as nice of a smile I could muster. It didn't take much. Being here, with so many smiling faces was exactly what I needed.

"Hi, sir. How may I help you? Where would you like to sit?" I asked and he looked at me. His indifferent expression faltered some and I thought he had a pained expression for a second. But it reverted easily.

"Ah yes. Put me in a secluded booth. Only one other person will be joining me and I'd like to discuss things with him." He said in such a monotone it made me shiver. It seemed he had no emotions, but that wasn't true. He looked like he just saw a beloved ghost. Like he saw something that utterly pained him deeply. Too deep.