3

It was the first of January. Jordan had called me to ask if I’d be back in Three Hills by January first, apparently his mother was holding a special party for the bakery staff. Here I was, in my dorm with Maya with the creepy statuette. I was getting a last few touch-ups on my make-up and hair before I headed out to the bakery.

    “Merry Christmas and Happy new year, Kasey!” they all screamed as I came in.

    Jordan came closer and hugged me, giving me a peck on the cheek and placing a small gift box in my hands.

    “Merry Christmas and happy new year to all of you,” I smiled at the few gathered around me. There were three new faces that I didn’t know, I assumed that Ophelia had hired them for the Christmas break.

    “Sit, please, let’s have a bite. Jordan cooked us a yummy meal in this bakery.” We all looked at Jordan with stunned expressions and he laughed.

    “How did you manage to cook ANYTHING but sweets in here? On top of that, you’ll ruin the smell!” I teased him.

    “Oh, don’t worry; I baked as many sweets to make the bakery’s smell come back to normal.” He lead me to the table they had placed and pulled my chair like the charming young man he was.

    I sat down and opened the gift box which he had greeted me with. Inside was an inch wide bracelet of intertwining stars of the color of the rainbow. I smiled as he picked it up and tied it around my wrist. He gave me another kiss on the cheek and sat down beside me.

    After nearly two weeks of dates every second night with Jordan, Maya decided that our before last night of freedom was going to be wild.

    “We’re going to the Nirvana! They’re opening twice this month! It’s going to be so wild! Come, get ready!” She yelled and threw a smiley-face candy into my hands.

    I smiled, swallowed the candy and went around the room with her choosing our outfits.

    As soon as my eyes opened to the mystical sights of the Nirvana, I removed my flip-flops to feel the marshmallow road on my feet. My hand was sliding over the chocolate wall and my eyes were trying – unsuccessfully – to count the stars I saw above. Maya lead me to the usual patch of grass where we undressed and sat down, laughing.

    When Maya started making out with yet another random guy, I stood with a smile and wandered around as I usually did. The flare of the bonfire was blinding but against the flare of the fire stood a silhouette I would have recognized anywhere; Jordan. I walked up behind him, squeezing my naked body to his back in a surprise hug. He turned around so quickly that he nearly tripped on his own feet which made me fall in laughter.

    “Kas, what are you doing here?” he asked in a voice that seemed lost on the wind.

    I, myself, was lost in his chocolate eyes as they sparkled in the flare of the fire. He removed his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders as he knelt beside me.

    “I’m just letting go before University starts again! I’m happy to see you here though,” I whispered in a lazy voice. My tongue felt huge and my mouth seemed to be lacking in saliva production. I leaned to the side so that my head lay against his chest.

    “Hey Kasey!” I heard Maya’s voice call but I didn’t turn my eye from Jordan’s face. “Who’s this guy? Wait, I’ve seen you in University before but first time I see you here.”

    “Maya, this is Jordan. He works at the bakery with me and you’re right, he goes to the university with us.” I spoke lazily.

    The world started spinning as I felt arms wrap around me and suddenly I was closer to Jordan’s chest and my feet weren’t touching the ground anymore.