|Chapter 4|

Penelope began ruffling through her crate of clothes.

       She knew the day would still be quite chilly since the cold front came through, so she opted for her long sleeved, dark blue dress with a brown apron covering. She decided to cover her Afro in a dark blue bonnet, to protect it from the damaging weather as well. Once she was dressed and freshened, she left the barn quickly, heading towards the back of the house.

       She hummed quietly as she strolled through the semi-high grassy land. It was a beautiful, crisp morning. The sun was shining lightly, it's rays twinkling against the drops of dew.  She could her Mama M's scattering in the kitchen, mixing in with the sweet calling of nature. Her eyes danced around her surroundings. She couldn't help but smile at nothing at all. She was just happy and soulfully satisfied. Her dream's complexity behind her. Replaced with peace.

      The back door swung open, as she got closer to the house. She watched as Mama M tossed out some old burn logs, knowing they must have been from last night's fire. She greeted her.

"Hey there Mama, fine morning!"
      Mama M looked her up and down, stopping at her hair before smirking.
" Sure is, and I see you're handling it pretty well missy"
      Penelope made a funny face, before stomping on in to the kitchen as the door closed.   She let out a breathe rubbing her hands against her upper arms as she searched for the coffee pot. She sniffed the air,* no coffee*. She of course confronted Mama M.
      "Mama M?"
      "Yup?" Penelope gave a chuckle and squinted her eyes.
        "Where's the coffee?" Mama M turned to look at her with confusion.
       "Coffee?" Penelope nodded her head sarcastically.
        " I don't know what you're talking about dear"
     "Sure you do, it's what you have ready every morning"
     "Couldn't be"
     "It's brown and hot" Penelope said in monotone. Mama M still shook her head.
     "It's brewed"
      "Nope"
      " Made with grains and water"
      "Nah"
      "Made in a pot"
       "Sorry dear, but why don't you make some?"

          The face of the young woman widen in revelation, she couldn't believe the con in front of her. Her mouth closing and gaping several times. Mama M laughed heartedly, shaking her head; all while commenting on her facile victory. This made Penelope finally speak after a few seconds.

      " How can you live with yourself? Creating an illusion against my love for the thing that sustains my very existence! Are you mad, or just straight juvenile....I'd say both. And for not-"
       Mama M raised a hand to hush the rambling drama queen. She then reached for the coffee pot, holding it out to Penelope.

     "Make the coffee Nelly" a brow shot up causing Penelope to sigh as she grabbed the coffee pot. Mama M hummed in delight, suddenly making her way out the kitchen. She turned.
      "And make enough for a village dear, the Richmonds are expecting company", then she was gone. 
       Penelope rolled her eyes in annoyance as she granted attention to the coffee pot in her hand. She shook her head and gave one more sigh before following orders.

A inexperienced 20 year old making coffee shouldn't be that hard, *right?*

/////////////////:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::////////////////

        Mama M slowly and quietly made her way down the front porch steps. Her eyes wildly look at her surroundings, making sure she's not being watching. Once her feet meet the grass at the bottom of the steps, she scampers towards one of the cabins located on the property, knowing her husband would be there. Her heart racing with worry and doubt.
        She really hoped that Penelope wasn't caught making the coffee by the Richmonds. She knew what her duties were as a housemaid, and she felt bad putting Penelope in jeopardy like she had. The young girl was already getting into bits of trouble as it was, Mrs. Mosley had no other choice though. She needed to use the time she'd normally be making coffee, to touch base with Mr. Mosley on things. She had to stay in the loop. She wanted no surprises.
      She soon reached the cabin and quickly pushed her way inside, eyes meeting eyes with 35 years of familiarity.  She leaned against the wall to catch her breath, talking with hast.
           "Well? Is everything still happening?"
  Mr. Mosley nodded his head, reaching in his pocket to pull out a folded piece of paper. He handed it to his wife. She furrowed her brows.
          " Read for yourself"
  Her hands shakily, yet with rushed determination, unfolded the piece of paper and began to look over it.

  ' Dear John Mosley,
           How are you my dear friend? I certainly wish we were communicating under rather more sound circumstances. I am terribly sorry for your loss. I'm sure he was a fine chapman. It just so happens me and the boy were just headed your way to rest and conduct the next master plan. Of course, it seems you already have one and it sounds mighty fine. The reward is plenty and should be more than fulfilling. The boy is more excited than ever, frankly it's been too long. You'll love to see the man he's become. We'll all get a chance to chat and catch up, if that lovely wife of yours doesn't still have you tangled in her web! Expect our arrival fairly soon, greatest regards,