Chapter 12

Camila's POV

Three days later I get a callback to go in for a second interview for the counseling job while I’m at a baby store with my cousin Maria. The sooner I can get out of bartending the better. I won’t miss it at all.

I’m looking at sheets when she comes over with a cute, frilly yellow dress for a newborn in her hand. The gleam of her engagement ring temporarily blinds me but the dress is adorable.

“That’s cute, Mari,” I smile.

“I know, that’s why I brought it over to show you,” she giggles.

“Lauren thinks it’s a girl too,” I tell her. In her excitement, Mom has told everyone she’s ever met that she’s going to be a Grammy.

“You’re carrying like it’s a girl.” I’m barely showing. “And why didn’t I hear about this from you? Who is this Lauren girl and why haven’t you brought her around?”

“Lauren was a customer and she was supposed to be a one night stand,” I admit. “I’ve just been busy with school and Mom beat me to it.” She doesn’t need to know that I’ve been too busy having my brains fucked out every chance I get.

“Ah, got a picture of her?”

“I do. She took me up in a hot air balloon on Sunday.” I grab my phone and find the pictures the pilot took of us.

“She took you up in a hot air balloon? Who does that?” she laughs and looks at the picture. “Holy hotness…”

“It was fun!” I insist. Maria totally won’t judge so I lower my voice and lean over to whisper, “We totally fucked in the basket.”

“No!” she whisper-yells.

“Uh huh, and it was sooo good,” I shiver just thinking about it.

“You dirty little minx. How did she talk you into… never mind, I probably would’ve jumped at the chance too looking at her.”

“She didn’t have to do too much convincing. The baby hormones are making me want to have sex constantly,” I tell her.

“Ooh, must suck to be her,” she laughs.

“Yeah, she’s suffering big time,” I snort.

“So I guess she’s on board with the baby idea. I’m actually more shocked that you went home with a client than I am you’re pregnant.”

“She’s the only one I’ve ever made an exception for. She was coming in twice a week just to see me for almost two years beforehand, and now you’ve seen her so you can understand how hard it was to turn her down for so long.” I grab a set of yellow and white striped crib sheets and toss them in the cart.

“Yeah, I probably would’ve hoped on it,” she laughs. “As long as she’s nice to you I won’t have a problem with her.”

“She’s great. You and Remy could come over for dinner to meet her,” I offer.

“Oh, I’d love to!” she exclaims.

“Awesome. I’ll talk to Lauren and set something up. Have you picked the color for the bridesmaids’ dresses yet?” They’re getting married in February. I’m supposed to be standing up in the wedding so hopefully I’m not still a hot mess at that point.

“I know I want a pale pink. I haven’t decided on any other colors. Maybe gold and brown. We’ll see.”

“Eww brown?” I crinkle my nose. If it was a fall wedding I’d get it, but February?

“Oooo-kay, maybe just gold,” she giggles.

I shake my head and move on to grab a box of diapers and the biggest bag of wipes they sell. I’m going to start stockpiling this kind of stuff.

“So what else do we know about this Lauren other than she has super sperm and likes watching you dance naked?” Mari asks from behind me.

“She owns a real estate agency. She was born in Miami so she speaks English as a second language just like us. She’s a year older than me. She’s funny, smart and very sweet to me. She never once questioned if I was lying about the baby being hers and she’s very excited about being a parent,” I tell her.

“She spent almost two years watching you, are you sure she’s not just excited that she found a way to keep you all to herself?” she asks.

I never thought of that.

I shrug and ask, “What difference does it make?”

“It’s just an observation. I can’t imagine she went in with a plan to knock you up when she invited you to fuck her. I guess excited is good, no matter the reason.”

Now this is bugging me and I don’t know why.

“Do you think she’s only interested because of the baby?” I ask.

“No, because of you. If she was going into the club for all that time can you imagine the kind of cash she dropped? She could just be pretending to be excited about the baby to lure you in,” she shrugs. “But I’m suspicious about everyone.”

Huh.

“I know she dropped a ton of cash,” I say softly. What if she’s right? Maybe I’ve been too blinded by baby hormones to really see what’s going on.

“Whatever. If she’s willing to shell out that kind of cash to see you dance I doubt she’s going anywhere regardless. I’ll judge when I meet her,” she says like it’s no big deal.

“Well wait… do you think she’s just using the baby as a cover to get payback for all the money she dropped on me before?” I don’t want to think that’s what she’s doing but what if it is?

“I don’t follow. As in is she getting paid back in sex, or just to be around you in general?”

“Both, I guess. The baby is a good excuse to be around me, right? And now I’m constantly horny so of course she’s getting lucky all the time…”

“How does she treat you? Are you just a good fuck to her or does she treat you like a person? I haven’t seen her with you so I can’t really judge yet.”

“She’s good to me,” I say. “But if you’re right then it’s just an act to keep me coming back.”

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to make you doubt her… Does it feel real? Like deep down in your soul real?”

“Yeah, but what if I’m just telling myself it is because I’m scared of raising the baby alone?” I’m this close to bursting into tears and having a panic attack.

“If it feels real, then just go with it, Camila. I don’t know anyone that pretended to be this happy about a baby just for sex. I was just sayin’. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

Well it’s too late now. I’ve got all sorts of squirrelly thoughts running through my head right now thanks to Maria. I’m sure she didn’t mean anything by it, but it doesn’t matter. What if she’s right and I’ve just been too blind to see it?