.:Four:.

I was mesmerised by the golden hue that the grass wore, it seemed almost a dream being here in Avonlea - not anything like home, yet it felt so comforting. The cloudless sky, the red-stained ground, even the birds seemed at peace. I had managed to get out of the house for more than five minutes, so I decided to explore a little more around town. 

"Mind if I join you?" I turned and saw Gilbert standing behind me at his gate. 

 "I'm good thanks." I smiled, turning and walking again. 

"Wait, wait. You promised me a walk remember?" I halted, wishing that I could say yes.

 "I'm sorry, but I want to be alone, forget I said anything before at all." I grimaced and again turned and carried on walking, waiting to see if he would reply. But when silence came I sighed and rounded the corner. 

"Elizabeth?" I turned quickly. 

"Gilbert look... Oh, you're not Gilbert." I nearly yelled at the red-haired girl in front of me. 

"No, I'm not. I didn't mean to interrupt anything - I was just wondering if you would like to come to tea at my house. Mother said it would be nice to welcome you into the town." She smiled at me and I grinned back. 

"I would be delighted. I feel bad though, I have no idea what your name is." She smiled again and led me back to a house I had only passed a few minutes beforehand. "My name is Diana Barry, pleasure to meet you."

~~

"Ruby?" I asked, looking up from my book. We were in our shared bedroom reading before bed. She looked up too, smiling slightly. "Why does Josie insist you have dibs on Gilbert?"

She shrugged and returned to her book. "I don't know no really. I've liked him since forever, but she keeps saying I'm in love with him. It's kinda silly, but sometimes I think she is the one who is in love with him."

"Why Ruby, I don't think that's silly at all. It's entirely plausible actually." Ruby looked at me curiously. 

"What do you mean by that Elizabeth?"

"I don't believe that Josie is being entirely truthful to you Ruby. She is spending an awfully big amount of time with Gilbert herself isn't she." I said. Ruby looked back to her book, ending the conversation.

"Don't be silly Elizabeth, Josie Pye would never betray my trust."