Calm Before the Storm

The next day came all too soon. I was quickly realizing being a newsy was a life of little sleep, little food, and lots of coffee.

As usual we all headed down to get our papers together. After jack, race and I got out papers we heard a slight commotion behind us.

"Um excuse me, i paid for twenty papes but you only gave me nineteen" a boy I didn't recognize said.  He had brown hair, and a handsome face. He spoke better than any of the rest of us too. There was another younger boy with him.

"Beat it" Oscar delancey told him. I shuddered slightly. I always worried the brothers would recognize me but they never did.

Jack went over to the new boy and counted. "He's right! Just an honest mistake an account of Oscar can't count to twenty" jack replied laughing.

As weasel handed the new boy another paper jack spoke up again "give da new kid fifty more papes" as he slammed another quarter down.

"I don't want your papes" the new kid responded, causing us all to laugh. "What newsy doesn't want more papes?"

"I'm no charity case. I don't even know you!"

The younger boy who had been quiet until now spoke up"his names jack!"

Critchy jumped in "this he-ah is the famous Jack Kelley."

"How old are ya kid?" Jack asked the younger boy "ten, almost" he replied quickly. "Well if anyone asks you're seven. Younga sells more papes, and if we're gonna partner-"

"Who says we wanna partner?" Asked the older boy.

"Learning from Jack Kelley means ya learning from the best" I add in quickly, grinning.

"And yous got a little brother. We can make million wit dis one" jack said happily

"This is my brother David, I'm Les" the younger boy, now known as Les, piped up.

"Heya davey we split everything seventy thirty" jack said before starting to walk away.

"Fifty fifty! You wouldn't try to pull a fast one on a little kid" Les replied

"Sixty forty and that's final" Les and Davey nodded. Jack spit on his hand and held it out to Les, he happily spit shook back.

"That's disgusting" David said.

This guy certainly was different.