enveloping of embers

( prologue )

( prologue )

      It was a day of sky stirring, darkness looming with an inevitable downpour in a few moments. Yet, the welcoming to new recruits had needed his presence and he obliged with an idle sink to his bones and a dismissal shaking of his hands.

He stood on the wooden podium with a sullen look, not forced or accidental, simply his demeanor and what it had been for the past two months. Each dawn was sought after by looking out his window and into the sky, jealousy growing each week with the sight of birds flocking, always from the left where the walls were.

Free.

As Erwin began his speech, he had to grumble at Eren who came to watch and couldn't help but get bored and talk to Mikasa. He only heard the brat go away once the rain began to drip, then fall completely. The act of the rain's cleansing didn't phase him at all, only once when he had to push his hair away from his face as it blurred his sight so badly everything was nearly black.

Then, he saw her.

It was a pang of nostalgia as he looked at a girl with long, silky black hair and moonlight skin. Her small eyes not cowering to the rain and he couldn't look away.

He pitied her only a fraction, he was going to unleash his pent up anger on the girl who dared resemble Valerie. But then the girl noticed the that abhor growing with each tick of rain and she smiled, if only slightly.

And then he found her eyes, oh so cunning that he stumbled.

The act made even Erwin glance at him: Levi never faulted. However, Valerie broke that characteristic within a matter of her eyes. Eyes that never looked away from him as he witnessed her perfectly carrying out a salute.

Levi felt terror rattle so deep in him it screamed at his soul.

T H R E E   Y E A R S   L A T E R

     Wind blades her eyes, tears forming from the pain of it and the pounding sound of the body on the horse. Each gallop brings along a thud, the girl closing her eyes for only a second: it's too surreal. She washes away the blood-curdling scream of a fellow cadet with her whimpers, wanting nothing more than to be in that woman's arm again.

But the sound of a loud crack after another gallop, she opened her eyes, giving way to reborn ambition.

Cunning eyes looked around at the landscape: trees, trees, trees — a tower!

The girl shoves her right leg to the horse's side, the animal changing direction in response.

Soon enough, she notices the legion behind them is getting quieter and the titans are getting louder.

It was an expedition gone chaotically terrible. Half the scouts are dead, and the others went in three different directions, breaking formation and branching off the titan beasts. Levi Ackerman laid strapped to her house by flesh tight rope, a crimson trail being left by the blood gushing from his left arm, or what's left of it.