Chapter 11

SilverShade woke up in a muddy ditch, her fur soaked with dirty water. She struggled to her paws, which were almost numb with cold, and immediately puked up a mouthful a mud and blood.

Her legs shook as she struggled to the camp, then with a jolt, she remembered Flec's attack. She was supposed to be dead.

"What a surprise he'll have." She purred to herself.

Silver! Don't you dare! You died! You can't go out there yet, it'll be all over for the both of us!

"Shut up." SilverShade snarled.

Silver!

With a hacking cough, SilverShade fell to the ground, feeling something crawl up her throat, wrenching her jaws so wide she felt her flesh would tear. The shadow crawled out, gaining shape as it rose to its feet. SilverShade felt so weak, she couldn't defend herself right now.

"If you had listened to me I wouldn't have had to weaken you." The shadow snarled, it's tail brushing ever so lightly against SilverShade's cheek. She let out a pitiful whimper as her cheek began split, little scratches appearing all over.

"Don't be a baby, it'll heal." The shadow growled, stepping closer so she flinched away. "These cats have learned about ghosts and spirits and the undead their whole lives. They wouldn't hesitate to kill you."

"We could take them." SilverShade growled, struggling back to her paws.

"No, we couldn't." The shadow growled, stepping on SilverShade's paw. She collapsed again, the skin of her paw splitting apart.

"But-" SilverShade stuttered, then stopped and tenderly licked her paw.

"This is different, there are a hundred cats in there that actually know how to fight." It hissed in disgust. "Plus if we killed them all we wouldn't have any cat to lead."

"Then what-" SilverShade mewed, feeling lost.

"I thought it would seem quite simple." The shadow mewed, looking at her. "You were planning on having the city cats join our little clan, weren't you?"

"I'm not leaving without Cis, Flec's going to hurt him! I know it!" SilverShade wailed, struggling back to her paws.

"You finally have some emotions, do you?" The shadow inquired. "Disgusting."

"I'm going to save Cis." SilverShade growled, her voice hard with determination. She stood so she was nose to nose with it, ignoring the pain as her flesh of her nose split.

"Whatever." The shadow mewed. "But I think I have a better idea."

"What are you even talking about?" SilverShade mewed darkly, just as the shadow dissolved into smoke that swirl around her. SilverShade braced herself for pain, but it never came, it was replaced with that awkward feeling you get when wrong. . Instead, it went into the necklace, and, with a jolt, SilverShade realized, the second heartbeat she had grown so accustomed to, was gone.

"Flec's leader? Do you really think that counts? He attack her without her being prepared, plus you heard what she said! He can't be in charge of us, not someone like that." A familiar voice mewed, Echo.

"He's smart, though." A voice responded. SilverShade's skin crawled in reproach of the stranger, how could she support Flec? "And beside, who else could lead? You and your sister are too young, and SilverShade had no other relations."

"So, what? He's no good." Echo argued, and SilverShade felt a flash of gratitude for the golden tabby as she walked away.

Tsk. The shadow growled.