22| Garrett

Garrett clamped a hand over his rumbling stomach as piping hot grilled cheese and tomato soup wafted through the air

Garrett clamped a hand over his rumbling stomach as piping hot grilled cheese and tomato soup wafted through the air. A perfect compliment to the rainy April day. He checked his watch. Arianne's class let out five minutes ago. Where was she? Pulling out his phone, he saw a text from her.

Ari: Not feeling so hot. Gonna eat lunch in my dorm.

He frowned at the lack of GIFs. She really must not be feeling well. Was it because she was coming down with something or because of the rumors flying around? He knew she'd been fending off innuendos and blatant snubs. They'd only talked over text since she came to his room, but he could feel her struggle with every text.

Garrett: You want me to bring you a sandwich or something?

Ari: Morgan's getting me food.

A brush off, but she needed people surrounding her, taking the blows for her. Morgan was still pissed at him especially when she learned about him telling his friends, but on this, they were in complete agreement. They formed an uneasy alliance, creating a rotating schedule so Arianne wouldn't be alone. Lunch was supposed to be his time with her, and he'd been looking forward to it.

Garrett: Okay. Want me to swing by? We can eat together.

Ari: That's okay. I kinda want to be alone.

He swallowed his disappointment. Before he could respond, she texted again.

Ari: Have you talked to your roommate yet?

Garrett: I'm waiting to hear back from him. The minute I do I'll let you know.

Ari: Okay, thanks.

The awkwardness between them was a thorn under his skin. He was desperate to get back to the time when words were easy, and the tension between them had nothing to do with negativity but something else entirely.

Garrett: I am sorry about telling my friends.

Ari: So you've said.

Garrett: They haven't told anyone.

Ari: So they've said.

Garrett: Ari...

Ari: I really REALLY wish you hadn't told them.

Garrett: I know.

He could apologize a million times, but it wouldn't make a lick of difference. He wished she could see his friends through clear lenses instead of being colored by that dick Chase.

Garrett: I hate this. ALL of this.

He hated he couldn't see her. Eat lunch with her. But most of all, he hated the growing distance between them.

Garrett: I want things to go back the way they were.

He waited, gnawing on his bottom lip as three dots on his phone blinked in and out of existence.