Chapter 19

A dark fog seemed to hang over the camp at the news of Bluestar's sickness. It had been a day since she had fallen ill. The first thing Ravenpaw saw when he emerged into the clearing that morning was Willowpelt leading Yellowfang into Bluestar's den, and it only intensified his concern.

Tigerclaw had taken Longtail and Sandpaw on patrol, giving Ravenpaw more time away from his mentor. He settled himself next to Dustpelt, and surprisingly the brown tabby warrior didn't shift away. They watched Bluestar's den in silence, united in their concern for their Clan leader.

Ravenpaw stifled a cough. His throat must have been sore from the achingly cold air.

But it wasn't just his throat that was sore. Even though he had slept well the previous night, his whole body ached as though he had run across the whole of ThunderClan territory. Ravenpaw stretched his forelegs. Caring for the cats with whitecough must have been more tiring than he'd thought.

Dustpelt was still watching Bluestar's den; he squinted, obviously trying to glimpse their Clan leader, but gave up soon after. "She has greencough," he meowed abruptly. "Yellowfang told me."

"She was fine just a few days ago." Ravenpaw let his gaze fall, remembering Bluestar's fury at his return from the Moonstone, and recalled how he had witnessed Bluestar die to the rat attack on his first visit there. "What if..." he began haltingly, "what if this is her last life?"

Dustpelt narrowed his eyes. "Don't talk like that."

They fell quiet again. Ravenpaw frowned. "I wasn't sure, but I noticed Yellowfang starting to use more tansy and feverfew yesterday."

"It came on pretty quick, apparently."

Ravenpaw watched as Willowpelt padded past the fresh-kill pile, glancing at the entrance to Bluestar's den. It was odd; he would never have expected this would be how he and Dustpelt would start speaking again. Perhaps I can try to convince him I'm telling the truth about Tigerclaw... Ravenpaw shot a sidelong glance at Dustpelt. The brown tabby warrior was staring straight ahead, giving no indication that he noticed Ravenpaw's discomfort. Should he say anything?

Suddenly Longtail burst through the gorse tunnel, his tail streaming behind him like a leaf as he bounded into the clearing. Ravenpaw's tail fluffed out in surprise; the pale tabby was dashing directly towards them.

Longtail skidded to a halt next to Dustpelt and Ravenpaw, panting. "Tigerclaw has scented ShadowClan on the Thunderpath. He has Sandpaw waiting at the spot, by the burned ash tree." He swiveled his head toward Ravenpaw. "He wants you to join her."

A chill ran down Ravenpaw's spine. "Me?"

"No, I meant the other Ravenpaw," Longtail hissed cruelly. "Of course you."

Ravenpaw shrank back. "But I'm not allowed to leave the camp!" He looked hopefully at Dustpelt, but his littermate seemed unmoved. A growl was rumbling in the brown tabby's throat; Ravenpaw guessed he was angry about ShadowClan's trespassing.

Longtail twitched his ears. "Well, if you want Sandpaw to guard the place by herself, fine." Ravenpaw's fur stood on end. The border with ShadowClan was not a place for a lone ThunderClan apprentice. Sandpaw would be in serious danger if a ShadowClan patrol noticed her. "Tigerclaw thinks we might have to send a raiding party into their territory to send them a message. He wants you to tell them if enough cats have returned from patrols for an attack when you arrive."

"What is Tigerclaw doing that he can't guard the place?" Dustpelt meowed; Ravenpaw swallowed back his bitterness at Dustpelt's calm and accepting tone. After everything, no cat thought Tigerclaw was capable of treachery.