If and Since

Examples:

If in the beginning:

1. If I get straight A's on my report card, my mom promised to upgrade my iPhone.

2. If I left him, my life would be better.

If in the middle:

1. The softball team will be league champions if they win their game this afternoon.

2. The pain would stop if Sebastian took the pain pills I keep telling him to take.

 Since in the beginning:

1. Since Robert was late to class, his teacher refused to let him make up the quiz he missed.

2. Since he didn't take the pills, he cried himself to sleep before 8 o'clock.

Since in the middle:

1. The Boss let her employees leave at lunchtime since a major storm was expected later that afternoon.

2. Abayomi is a peaceful person since he never physically fought anyone.

Example from literature:

1. "If growing up is painful for the southern Black girl, being aware of her displacement is rust on the razor that threatens the throat" (Prose 92).

2. "I once asked Atticus if it ever had any" (Lee 12).

3. If the judge released Arthur, Mr. Radley would see to it that Arthur gave no further trouble" (Lee 13).

More Examples:

1. If she sniffed hard enough, a bee would become stuck in her nose.

2. Since he loved her, he drew a heart in the sand and proposed.

3. If he was late, they made him crawl through the puddles.