↳ EIGHT

A DARK VEIL of sadness and loss had descended upon S

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

   A DARK VEIL of sadness and loss had descended upon S.H.I.E.L.D, whilst HYDRA was reveling in the joy of the Patriot's demise, but no matter how people felt about it, there was no escaping the truth — the Resistance was without a leader after the attack on HYDRA's Enlightenment Cultivation Center.

          For Jenna Rivers, it felt like losing her father all over again — not because she had been particularly close with Jeffrey Mace, as she really hadn't, but because Henry had been an important part of S.H.I.E.L.D too. He had defended the agency and its beliefs until his very last breath, and still to this day, he was remembered as some kind of an iconic hero, and no doubt Jeffrey Mace would become an equal legend over time. And, nevertheless, it was never easy to lose someone — especially if you had to actually witness their death, and accept that there was nothing to be done.

          And that was why this felt like the aftermath of Henry Rivers' death on repeat. Because as he had passed away, he had inspired Jenna to join S.H.I.E.L.D and become an agent like him, and now, the Patriot's death was giving her the push she needed to work harder for their freedom. She wanted to bring S.H.I.E.L.D to its former glory, even if it was merely in the Framework, and she wanted to be reunited with Fitz, and she wanted to get out and live happily ever after in the real world. Watching Mace die, leaving him to his fate, it had made Jenna feel useless and like she hadn't done enough, but now, she could do so much and that was an opportunity she wasn't going to throw away.

          "You okay?", Evan's voice snapped Jenna out of her thoughts, and she made a spin around to find her brother standing there, with Simmons by his side, a sight that earned a smile from the scientist. "I mean, emotionally and physically", he added whilst gesturing towards Jenna's shoulder, and as her lips parted, the blonde looked over to her arm where a scar was already forming on the place of the gunshot wound.

          Exhaling, she looked back to Evan and Jemma and shook her head. "My shoulder is fine, it's whatever, and you know me. Always turning grief into motivation, and that's what I'm gonna do — I want to put an end to this. To Madame Hydra", Jenna faced them with bravery, and in an instant, Simmons broke into a smile.

          "Well, then I have some good news. There was an attack on Madame Hydra, and I'm quite sure it was Daisy. She is on the run with May, and once we're reunited, we'll form a plan to escape", Jemma explained, and as expected, it put a smile on Jenna's face as the blonde clapped her hands together in enthusiasm. Finally, something that wasn't a complete failure or a miserable tragedy. "I'm going to go over the photos that Trip managed to get with him. Do you want to join?", Simmons continued before Jenna could say anything, and as she looked over to the arm that was being offered to her, the blonde nodded eagerly.

          "I'll catch up with you", Jenna confirmed, and with that, Simmons flashed a smile and walked away. Once she was all alone with Evan, the younger Rivers turned to her brother with a lifted eyebrow and a curious gaze in her eyes. "So, Ward, huh? Or men in general?", she couldn't help but ask, and breaking into a sheepish grin, Evan shrugged.