Chapter 2: Stolen Glances

This chapter is dedicated to TeamNextGeneration for all the support!!! 

 Revised, Published Version

19th Century, 5th Avenue, Manhattan

Alexander Winferd crept through the trees surrounding the Fulton Mansion on 33rd and 5th Avenue. It was a sight to behold. Yet, he cursed his impulsive decision to spy on the object of his desire.

There wasn't enough foliage to conceal him, and he felt foolish ducking around the trees and bushes in the small garden. However, Alexander suspected he did not know Jade well enough, and now his time was running out. She was an enigma, and this was enticing to Alexander. Women were strange creatures, but he had never met one like Jade Fulton. Aside from her fortune, she was heavenly, and he longed to have her and everything that entailed.

Jade was also a challenge, and that turned him on. Alexander, not used to rejection from the fairer sex, could claim most women's hearts with a mere look. He prided himself on his dashing good looks, charm, and debonair style. Jade had rebuffed him and every effort to woo her, and instead of backing off, he endured her aloofness. Alexander was used to women flocking to him and blushing beneath his stares. Jade was different, and Alexander was in awe of her.

His male pride wanted to believe she was being coy and playing hard to get, but he knew this wasn't the case. While remaining polite, Jade made it clear she was not interested.

Jade was an amiable girl, and although gently bred, she had a fire within her. She was stubborn and did not succumb to what society deemed appropriate. Because of this, Jade was often the victim of vicious gossip.

Alexander's principal goal was Jade's fortune, but he couldn't deny that having her as his wife would be a bonus. She was more attractive than most, and her womanly figure did not go unnoticed. He had to have Jade and the life she would offer him.

Because of her father's death, the Fulton family was packing up and heading back to London. Jade's mother, Bella Fulton, was born in England and the daughter of a duke. Rumors circulated Bella had defied her father and disappeared in the night to elope with Lawrence Fulton. They were a very wealthy and influential family, and Alexander had made it his personal goal to marry Jade, the heiress of this empire.

He had less than a fortnight to break through the wall Jade built between them, and he was determined. In his desperation, he had found himself on her property, sneaking around like a common thief in the night. He needed to be near her, but Jade made that almost impossible. Alexander moved with stealth-like ease behind a rose trellis and crouched down to crawl over to the nearest tree about ten feet away from the lighted library. He grinned like a Cheshire cat when he peeked around the tree and saw the object of his desire curled up in a chair, reading a book.

Just as he relaxed, Alexander heard a noise and ducked down to peep around the tree. Panic seized him when he saw Jade's closest friend creeping along the back of the house. Without thinking, Alexander did the only thing he could do and ran! Damn! Damn! Damn!

After jumping into the waiting hackney cab, Alexander exhaled a long, shaky breath. With a million thoughts running through his mind, he felt the need for a stiff drink. He needed to be sure the chit hadn't seen him. But how? If Abagail had recognized him, his plan was sure to fall apart. What possessed him to do something so stupid and reckless? Alexander would be more careful in the future, but he was running out of time.

Alexander yearned for things he felt were within his reach, and among those things was his desire to have a club. He was envious of the wealthy gentlemen who belonged to the Union Club, which was like London's elite clubs, and this was the type of life Alexander wanted. And he would allow no one to stand in his way. Jade was vulnerable since her father's death; however, that wouldn't be the case in England. He needed to speak with his father and figure out his next move.

He hoped Jade's friend had not seen him. It was dark, and he was too far away for her to recognize him. Regardless, he was sure someone had alerted the household to the intruder on the property. All the servants would now be on guard.

Alexander cursed the silly girl for being outside, but remembered she was more to Jade than a mere companion or friend. Alexander knew it wasn't all gossip and rarely saw Jade without the chit. Miss Abagail was part of the family, not a servant. There were even whispers that the late Lawrence Fulton wanted to adopt the girl.

His father had worked for Lawrence Fulton for as long as Alexander could remember. The hackney cab stopped on South Street, the 'Street of Ships,' and Alexander entered his father's office, and paced back and forth in front of the desk occupied by Harrison Winferd. "They are leaving for London soon, and I must stop them!" Alexander barked.

With an exasperated sigh, Harrison shook his head. "Alexander, you have made your wishes known, and the lady does not share those wishes."

Alexander grabbed a bottle of brandy, poured a generous amount into a dusty glass, and swirled the amber liquid around before downing the entire contents. He growled as the drink burned its way down his throat and took pleasure in the warmth that seemed to spread through his body.

As he poured another, his father stood to face him. "Go easy on the drink, lad. Getting foxed will not change a thing."

"Father, I am old enough to know when I have had enough. I also know that you have worked too long and hard for Miss Fulton's father, and he left everything in the hands of a mere woman, for God's sake. You realize that your employment could be gone at any moment!" Alexander snapped his fingers. "Just like that..."

***

Since the death of Lawrence Fulton, Harrison endured many sleepless nights over this dilemma. However, he had not heard whispers or gossip regarding the family selling the Fulton Empire. He knew Jade Fulton would not marry his son and hand over her legacy. "So, what do you intend to do, Son?"

Alexander's smile was stiff and calculating. "I shall do whatever I need to do." He gave his father a curt nod and made for the door.

Harrison poured himself a drink and downed it. With a deep-seated dread weighing on him, he knew his son well and realized Alexander would stop at nothing. He would claim the chit at any cost.

♥♥♥

Please remember to vote & comment. I appreciate your support and love hearing from my readers! 

Lady Lisa

September 2023 Revised Published Version