Twenty-three

October 27th
9:45pm
California time

Zach's smile faded as Hazel's face popped up on his phone screen. He had never felt such heartbreak in his life until he saw how devastated his best friend was. Tears were flowing out of her eyes like rushing water down a stream, her cheeks were flushed and she had large bags under her eyes while her soft black hair was tied up the messiest bun Zach had ever seen, but Hazel still looked beautiful so him.

"Hello Hazel Grace"Zach said softly, picking up his frown and placing a little smile on his plump pink lips.

Hazel smiled weekly before picking up her phone from her desk and making her way over to her bed- she was exhausted, she was emotional and she missed Zach.

They had only hung out in person once, but the music star was slowly becoming her whole world, she cared for him more than she cared for most and the best part of their friendship was Zach already treated her like he cared for her back.

"Hello babyface" She finally spoke, laying her head softly against her pillow and placed her phone standing up (with the help of a pop socket) on the pillow next to her- half her face and her blanket showed on Zach's screen but even then he couldn't help by smile at her.

"Who ya talking to Zachy?" A little voice asked, the voice getting louder as they got closer.

"Is she your girlfriend?" The young voice asked as Zach moved his head away from the said girl to his little sister who sat on the couch next to him- still out of frame.

"No Reese, she's my bes-"

"Can I say hi?"

"I don't think that's a-"

"Hello!" A little girl said popping onto the screen, pushing Zach out of the way.

Hazel couldn't help the large smile on her face as she looked at the little girl, she was the most adorable thing she had ever seen, well second most adorable because she still counted Zach as number one- but she's never tell him that.

"Hello love" Hazel said softly, her voice cracking halfway through- still in a very sad state.

"What's wrong? Did Zach make you sad? I can get mom to hit him" she said cashing Hazel to let out a chuckle before shaking her head.

"Okay you, thats enough" Zach said before standing up and picking the young girl off the couch- taking his phone back from her and walking up the stairs into his room.

"I'm sorry, she's a little nosy but it's just her age- we were all like that once" Zach said, but hazel didn't mind.

"It's okay, she's cute"

"Cuter than me?" No.

"Obviously"she laughed,

"There's the smile I like to see Hazel Grace" he beamed as he flopped down onto his bed, both of them looking at each other in the eyes- even if they didn't realize it.

"Can you sing to me?" She whispered, all of her sadness suddenly coming back, hitting her in the face and breaking her heart all over again.

"But if I can't have you I'll walk this life alone,
Spare you the rising storms and let the rivers flow" Zach sang to her softly, watching her tired burning eyes close.

The song softly flowed into her ears as sleep took over her body, but the boy finished the whole song and waited for a few minutes to make sure she didn't wake back up.

"Goodnight Hazel Grace, I love you"

Zach whispered before pressing the red "end call" button and flopping his phone down on his bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Suddenly he was starting to think that "I love you" meant something different to him and it did to her.