Chapter 1

March 28, 1938

March 28, 1938

Books were constant. Pages could be worn, covers ripped, and bookmarks lost, but the words would always remain. The stories live forever within the hearts of readers and the shelves of libraries. With the hundreds of changes she had gone through in her short life, Ashlynn Connolly craved stability. That is why her bag was filled solely with books. 

             "You need more than these silly books Ms. Connolly," The shrill voice of the housekeeper scolded. 

              "I'm not leaving any of them behind," Ashlynn argued. 

Ashlynn continued to pile her numerous novels into the small bag. Internally, she knew clothes and personal effects were the logical choice, but her stories could not be left behind. Her new home could be miles away from the library and she could be left stranded in reality without a single exit. That was not something she could afford. 

                "Put one more book in that bag and I will leave it behind," her companion announced when Ashlynn tossed her copy of The Forgotten Daughter into the mix. 

The pre teen gasped at her harsh exclamation. "Just one more, I promise." 

The woman reluctantly nodded and Ashlynn quickly picked up her most cherished story. The spine had peeled away so the pages were left exposed. The cover clung to the story through layers of old, yellowed glue. It had been beaten and loved to death. Ashlynn refused to put it with the rest of her library. This one was special. This one deserved to be in her arms. This one held her mother. 

               "You must pack your clothes now Ashlynn." 

Despite her luggage being overrun by her piles of books, Ashlynn managed to neatly fold her favorite dresses. Her room emptied itself into the fabric as Ashlynn gathered her photos and toys. Ashlynn didn't like the atmosphere anymore. It felt ghostly and lonely, like her personality had been launched out the window into the garden below. Even her yellow wallpaper had lost its sunny nature, the flowers that once blossomed falling limp. 

              "Do you have everything you need?" The strict woman asked, waiting for the girl by the bedroom door. 

Ashlynn scanned her bedroom. It was the last time she would see her childhood, her source of joy. Her forgotten objects connected her to her memories. The chair she would lounge in with her newest adventure, the ornate table lamp missing a chip of the base from the times she knocked it over, the skinny crack on her wall that had formed from her door handle ricocheting against it, her stuffed bear she had received only a day ago. 

                "Wait!" Ashlynn exclaimed when she saw the bear. She scooped up her prize and clutched it close to her chest, next to the book.  "I can't believe I almost forgot you!" 

The older woman corralled Ashlynn out of the room. "It's time to go my dear. We're going to miss the train." 

                "But I have to return the bear to," Ashlynn began, knowing it would be rude to leave with her friend's precious toy. 

                "We don't have the time. I'm sure your friend will understand," The adult commented, ignoring Ashlynn's pleas. 

                Ashlynn, slightly scared of the older woman and knowing she was already upset with her slow packing, followed her trail. She paused outside, glancing to her left to admire her second home. Every fiber in her being told her to race over and knock on the door, beg to be embraced by her friends, but her mind stopped her. She had said goodbye too many times. Saying goodbye to them would break her. Squeezing the bear tightly, Ashlynn approached the vehicle. 

             "Come on now," Her supervisor opened the back door. "In you go." 

Stealing one last glance behind her, Ashlynn's home was dead. The final Connolly had left its walls, taking the final shred of light with her. Adjacent to the graveyard lay Ashlynn's heaven. The sun kissed the walls gently, as if to light the path Ashlynn couldn't follow. Tearing her eyes and heart away, Ashlynn ducked into the vehicle that would carry her into her new life. 

             "See you later Edmund," Ashlynn wished when the door slammed shut. 

Reader Shoutout: aemigabrielle

Word Count: 722

[Edited]

 A/N: So, I completely rewrote the beginning. This book needs some serious revamping so things are going to be looking a little different. If you want me to keep the old version on my page, let me know, otherwise the entire book is going to be pretty much rewritten. I just feel like I can do a much better job now. That being said, I think I'm going to start a Lord of the Rings Fic soon, so keep your eye out for that. Also check out my new book A Slip of the Tongue, which is a collection of my poems, short stories, and essays. Love you all, and remember, 

Stay Beautiful, 

Stay Awesome 

and of course, 

Stay Awkward!