Chapter 5

Unedited

I had only walked a mile or two before I reached the nearest settlement. It was called Whittle Town. They must be pretty brave because they had set up really close to the Fire Country Border.

As I walked into the tiny little village, children stopped playing and ran into their houses ,and women hid behind the closest shelter.

It took me a few seconds to notice the strange behavior they were showing towards me, because I was relishing in the feelings of being in a community again. I first stopped when I saw a couple brave men walking towards me with sharp farming tools. They didn't look at all pleased to see me, so I took one and then two submissive steps back.

My senses were suddenly all on alert and I heard the third man try to sneak up from behind. With a swift pivot, I turned to address him and was greeted with an arrow knocked and aimed right for my face. The rough looking man behind it had pepper colored hair but a young face. It probably came from a hard life.

"Put your hands up! State your purpose!" he shouted.

I nervously lifted my arms up and watched his arm muscles flex as he held the weapon.

"I am in need of medicine for my friend. That is all." I tried to make it simple and short for them to understand, but they didn't seem to want to.

"Where did you get that armor? Dragon scales are hard to come by, especially since hunting dragons is illegal unless ordered otherwise by the king." The man growled, not releasing his bow from its position.

Sweat started to form on the back of my neck as I answered.

"It is not dragon skin you see here. This is wyvern skin. The particular beast I am wearing tried to kill me when I was young."

One of the other men stepped closer and seemed to scrutinize my armor. then he nodded. "She speaks the truth."

The man in front if me relaxed a little and stopped aiming the arrow straight at my face. he took a step back and watched cautiously as the other man came closer to me

I watched both nervously. "I didn't kill it myself. My brother's dragon did. I know that you probably are worried that I am a barbarian, but I have seen them and I look nothing like those mongrels." I tried to explain myself to them as they started circling me.

The man with the bow and arrows stared at me in disbelief. "Your brother is a dragon tamer?"

I shook my head. "Correction. He WAS a dragon tamer with a Soul Bond. My brother is no longer with us in this world."

The men shot each other looks of varying emotions, and then the bowman turned back to address me.

"We are sorry for your loss. I personally know how hard it is to lose a family member." he paused. "My name... is Harold Braveman. I am a retired soldier from the Royal army. We fought alongside many courageous dragon tamers during the last war. They were all good honorable men."

I listened intently and then introduced myself.

" I am Melinda... I used to have a family, but they are all dead now. The closest beings I have to family are now my brother's bond dragon, Strife, and my own Soul Steed, Tephra." I saw them all react at the news of my own dragon. "Currently I am seeking directions to the nearest healer for some medicine. My brother's dragon has fallen deathly ill, and I am desperate to heal him." I bowed my head in remorse.

Harold slung his bow over his shoulder and returned the arrow to its bundle. Then he motioned for me to follow him.

"Come. I know you must be weary after your travels. We should put some grub in that belly and relax. Then maybe you can tell us your story and we can offer some assistance."

I nodded slowly, and then proceeded to do so. It was obvious when the others followed behind me that they still didn't trust me fully. Whatever floats their boat.

I needed to get that medicine, not make friends.

I needed to get back to my Soul Steed. His soul was calling for me, as mine was for him. I tried sending comforting feelings and thoughts his way, but he didn't accept them.

Tephra's line stayed dark.