1. Let's Introduce

On a fine Christmas morning, wrapped up in a white wool sweater, I was sipping my coffee, smiling to myself, thinking of all the good things that's going to happen today.But first Let me introduce myself first.

Hi. I am Olivia Mathews. Max Mathew's daughter. And today is my 17th birthday. Interesting, huh? Two special events in one day. However, Today is not only special because of Christmas and my birthday but because my dad is returning from Afghanistan. He works as an American Army. And I'm so proud of him. 

As proud as I am of him, I have always been scared too. The fear of losing him always made me wake up in the middle of the night crying. There were days I used to think of all the ways things can go wrong and I used to start screaming and crying. Growing up wasn't easy for me. I was always a troubled child. But, my psychiatrist helped. A lot. And that would be my mum. She taught me how to turn the bad thoughts to good one's. She used to show me pictures of dad getting awards for his bravery and the stories from before my birth. And there was my dad, when he came home we used to go out and eat ice cream and talk. Sleep together and talk. Mostly he used to talk,about all the things they does, did and how they are protecting the children and the people living here and his proud voice never failed to mesmerise me. 

Days and months and years went like this and slowly but surely my fear turned into pride. It's a small town so here everyone knows him and us. So, whenever I go out, I walk with pride and not fear. I always smile and answer to every question people asks about my dad. But, I'm his only daughter. He is my dad. My superhero. And obviously I fear. My whole world revolves around him. I fear that one day, something's bad going to happen and I will lose him. I just can't accept that fact.

But, my fear coming to end today. He is retiring. And he's coming home for good. He will be here at around noon. And the town throwing him a 'welcome home' party along with my birthday party.

It's 8 am. And I can see the town, from my window, all decked up for Christmas and dad's party. There are snow everywhere. But enough road to walk. On the sideways, there are different types of snowmen and fake Santas and snowflakes and banners. The party is going to be in our backyard, so it is all decked up too. Starting with red and white balloons to fake snowflakes, paper airplanes and so many other crafts we all made last night. And let's not forget the big Christmas tree decorated with multi coloured fairy lights and red socks filled with sweet treats.

You see, Greyhood is a small friendly town. Here, everyone knows everyone and everyone helps everyone. And with the help of whole town, specially the kids and teens, we did a great job at decking up the whole town. The town is so lively today, it looks like it's in it's fullest of life. And I couldn't be more happy. Actually, I can be. Haha, yes, when my dad comes home. Thats when I'll be the happiest and I can't wait to be home, to be in my dad's arm.

ding dong

The sound of doorbell snapped me out of my thoughts. Oh Shit. I was supposed to be having my friends over to help me with decorating my home and cook for dad.

'Coming.' I said to no one particular. With one hand occupied with the half emptied coffee cup and another on air, I dragged myself downstairs and opened the door to reveal my best friends.

'Come inside, sweetpop's.' I smiled at them and hugged each one of them. I'm such a hugger. I love hugging people. And it's Christmas and my birthday and dad's coming home and thus the extra-extra happiness. 

'Happy Birthday, Liv.' They all exclaimed at the same time with the same enthusiasm. I was radiating with happiness and flushed cheeks.

'Thank you, guys. I love you all. And Merry Christmas.' I exclaimed and hugged them all again. A big group hug.

'Merry Christmas.' They all replied together again. So, this is my group. With six people in it.
Rex, the soccer captain. Nolan, the smart intelligent one. Abigail and Gabriel, the pretty twin and the cheerleader captain and co-captain. Marie, the photographer. And me, the average one or in their words 'the bookworm'. It's hard for people to accept that we are best friends Because we come from different stereotypical group. It actually is surprising but we been living practically next to each other since our diaper days and so we never fell out. Thank Jesus. I would be a complete lone wolf without them, mum being in the hospital all the time and dad, well, on the other side of the world.

'We love you, too. Now, chop chop lets get to work.' That was Marie. And everyone agreed with her so we started working as per planned.