Chapter One

Fuming inwardly, she threw her phone in her bag. She just received a call from her mum that her long overdue pocket money has been used to pay younger sister's hospital bill. How was she supposed to get a new
dress for the Coker's party!

Walking towards her hostel, Kiitan saw a squirrel run past her. Even the squirrel lives a better life she thought, at least it didn't have to worry about what cloth to wear, shoe, jeweleries etc.

Being the first child in a home of five including her parents, she had had to share things with her siblings in the name of managing resources. Her immediate younger sister ,Bimbo who was just in Ss1 had been a frail child from birth which has cost the family a lot in terms of financial resources. Yes,Kiitan understood that health is wealth but did it have to be when she wanted to desperately get a new dress for a party.

Her mum was a junior civil servant who has the larger part of her salary in a cooperative, she sometimes worked as a cleaner in order to pay school fees. Her father wasn't contributing to the family instead he was a big problem. He used to work as a manager in a reputable bank until a when a sum of money became unaccounted for and he was fired. Then he turned to alcohol as way of getting over his problem. He finally became a drunkard! An alcohol addict!

Entering into Vannesa's Female Hostel, she showed her ID to the porter in charge and made her way to her room. She walked into her room to perceive the smell of beans which permeated the air. It was one of her roommates Nabilah,cooking beans which happens to be the only thing she's been cooking lately.

"With the rate at which you cook beans nowadays, are you sure it won't grow out of your head sha?" Kiitan teased

"I just happen to love beans" Nabilah sang shaking her head to the rhythm

"Hmm,hope you cooked plenty? 'cos me I'm hungry o"

"No o, this one is for my mouth only" Nabilah said

"Selfish brat" Kiitan muttered under her breath as she proceeded to lay on her bed

She continued thinking of a way to get money for the party. The cokers were the crème d LA crème of the campus. Nonentities like her usually don't get invited to such parties but she got lucky this year because her boyfriend, Mayowa, belonged to the circle of the likes of the Cokers.

Suddenly, an idea crossed her mind. She could borrow money from Nabilah for the party but a part of her dismissed the idea. Nabilah was a from a home like hers only that Nabilah had lost her father to cancer a year ago. Though Nabilah's case was a little fairer since they were just two children and her mother. Moreover, they lived in the family house so house rent was out of their burden. Kiitan decided to give it a try. There's no harm in trying she thought.

"Nabilah I was hoping I could borrow some money from you. I need it for a pressing need" Kiitan asked

"If I may ask,what's that pressing need?" Nabilah asked as she creased her eyebrows

"I need to get a dress for the coker's party..."

"Subuhanalah,for a party! Nabilah exclaimed

"Are you willing to or not?" Kiitan practically shouted back, irritation evident in her tone. She knew she should not have asked her, she was just as broke as herself.

" I'm sorry but I barely have enough to feed my mouth too" Nabilah answered "but pray to Allah, He will see to your needs"

Kiitan was from a  Muslim background  but does not believe that she needs to pray or do anything to please God. She had always avoided being preached to by Nabilah claiming not everyone wants to live a lowkey life. To her,money was the key to life,no matter the source.

She started to think of a better way to get money.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••
First work💕 .What do you think about it?
Don't forget to vote⭐ and comment.
Share with friends too
Follow me,I always follow back.

Nigerian books to read
Our school;last virgin standing AdamsWonu
President for a week harielta