volume VIII: goodnight

Finn sat in the back of the blacked out vehicle, staring out the window; just watching the rain droplets hit the dim glass.
There were tacky tears still clung onto his cheeks, but he didn't seem to notice. His mind was on her.

Bella.

Every word she spoke was like poetry to him. Each hit him hard.
Not having her in his arms upset him very much, and stepping into that car without her took all of his strength.

"Mr. Wolfhard? Are you okay?"

The driver had been trying to get Finn's attention for a short while, until Finn finally snapped his head up.

"Yeah... uhm, yeah. I-I'm alright,"

His voice came out scratchy, having to clear it mid sentence.

"What do you need?"

The driver looked into the mirror facing Finn, and gestured his eyes to the terminal just out the right side of the car.

"O-oh."

The driver parked the car, and walked towards Finn's door, opening it gently.

"Your flight leaves in one hour, Mr. Wolfhard. I suggest you get going soon."

Finn nodded, and stepped out of the car.
It was hard, but he knew deep down that he'd see her again.

-

Looking out the large glass windows of her room, Isabella watched the rain hardly tap the glass.
It had been nearly an hour since Finn left, and she still wasn't able to process everything.

He kissed me.

I kissed him.

He said he loved me.

I said I loved him.

That was the thing about love, she knew deep down that it never lasted for her.

But we'll stay in touch. We promised each other that.

But there was still a pit in her stomach. Not the kind you get going on a carnival ride, or opening the gift you thought you would never get.

Or falling in love.

What if he met someone new? Or he got so busy that he forgot about her?

Stop, Izzy. He's not yours to have.

Sighing, she shut her blinds and climbed into bed.
And at the same time, Finn, now on the airplane, sat back under a blanket.

"Goodnight, Izzy."

"Goodnight, Finn."

Both drifted asleep with the thought of each other.
Young love at its finest, yet neither knew it.