Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Will woke to the sound of crunching leaves . Every single part of him ached. He groaned and tried to turn over, but something was pinning him in place. Will grudgingly opened his eyes to see Jem lying on top of him, fast asleep. Will was definitely awake now. How had he gotten here? Slowly the events of the previous night struggled into Will's mind. He shrugged Jem off of himself and decided to go explore.

They were surrounded by trees on all sides. Will looked up to see sunlight leaking through the branches, high above him. His clothes were in tatters, his coat was gone, and he was missing a fair amount of his shirt sleeve. He heard some strange music in the distance, and looked for its source. A large rock was just ahead of him, and he clambered onto it to get a good view of their surroundings. What Will saw caused his mouth to drop open of its own accord. Without looking away, he took off his shoe and hurled it at Jem. With a cough, Jem's eyes flashed open and he leapt to his feet.

'Will, what are you doing in my room, throwing things at me?' he shouted angrily. 'I would have woken up if you had simply given me a good shake!' Jem finally seemed to realize that they were not in his room. He looked around with a startled expression and said, 'Where are we, Will?'

Will gestured for Jem to join him on the rock. As Jem pulled himself onto the top of the boulder, he followed Will's gaze to have his hand shoot to his mouth in surprise. The boulder seemed to be at the edge of a large hill, the ground sloping steeply below them. Spread out before them was a massive park, filled with hundreds of people. The people themselves were a sight to behold, especially the women. They wore shirts with no sleeves that were disturbingly tight, and had such short pants that Jem had to look away, embarrassed. Will was looking above the crowd, toward the skyline. Seemingly touching the sky, tall buildings towered above the world, starting just after the park's edges. They reminded Will of the glass towers in Alicante, but these were obviously created by mundanes. Will had never felt so out of place before.

After finally drinking in all of the sights , Jem turned to Will with an anxious expression. He looked how Will felt. 'Where are we?' he repeated, and then added, 'And what should we do?'

Will was uncharacteristically silent. Words formed on his lips but he couldn't seem to get them out. After what seemed like an eternity, Will shrugged. 'I guess we should go explore.'

Leaping off of the rock, Will took a slow walk down the hill, with Jem right behind him. As he reached the bottom, he received some strange looks from a few people but he ignored them. Will gestured for Jem to follow him as he chose one of the park's many winding paths and prayed that it would lead them to the exit.

Naturally, it didn't, and the two boys found themselves in front of a large fountain swarming with even more locals. Some were pointing thin rectangular boxes at the fountain, or even putting the objects close to their ear and talking into them. 'Insane.' Jem murmured to Will. 'This is insane. Every single one of them is talking to a block. Either I have lost my mind or they have!'

Will shook his head and pointed to some people sitting on a bench near them. 'We should go ask if they know anything about where we are.' Will said. Jem started to walk toward the people, but Will hesitated. Jem grabbed Will's arm and dragged him to the bench. 'Come on, Will. We're in this together.'

Will huffed, trying not to show how nervous he felt. 'Alright, I'm coming!'

The people looked nice enough. They were two girls that looked around sixteen years old, giggling about something. The one was short with flaming red hair and luminous green eyes, and the other was quite the opposite with dark hair and eyes. They were wearing the same styled clothing as everyone else, only the dark-haired girl was wearing tight black pants with a black top. They looked up as Will and Jem strode up to them. Jem, always the gentleman, started the conversation politely. 'Goodmorning, ladies. I'm sorry to interrupt you, but my friend and I were wondering if you could tell us-'

'Are you British?' the dark-haired one interrupted with an accent that sounded like Tessa's. The other girl nudged her.

'Izzy! Don't be rude!' She looked up at Jem with an apologetic expression. 'Sorry, carry on.'

'Actually, I am British' Jem stated, 'and we are terribly lost. Could you help us find the exit perhaps?'

The short girl got up. 'I know Central Park like the back of my hand. Follow me.'

As the girl and Jem got into a conversation, the other girl pulled herself off of the park bench and walked up to Will.

'Hey.' she said and flicked her long black hair over her shoulder.

'Hey.' Will replied. He felt uneasy with this girl. Something about her seemed off. Will decided to watch his words carefully. He didn't want to give anything about himself away.

'I'm Isabelle.' she commented, and smiled flirtatiously.

Will raised his eyebrows. He really was not amused by this girl. 'I go by Will.' he said.

The girl giggled. 'Wow. Your British accent is really hot.'

Just then, Will saw it. All along her arm were faint white scars. Will's gaze finally rested on Isabelle's hand, where the newly spotted voyance rune gleamed. The scars traveling up her arm and the black gear meant only one thing. Will's eyes opened in shock. 'Nephilim.' he said, surprised.

In less than a second, the girl had Will pinned against the nearest tree, seraph blade threatening to cut his throat. 'I knew you weren't mundane.' she hissed, and pressed the blade deeper into Will's soft flesh. Will grimaced, and struggled to pull out one of the knives he kept in his pocket at all times. He was extremely grateful for it as he sunk it into Isabelle's leg.

'Good guess.' He commented as she shrieked in pain. He tried to run away from her, but she drew out her own dagger and threw it at Will's head. It nicked his ear but thankfully hurt nothing else. His bleeding ear had Will momentarily distracted, and Isabelle seized the opportunity by pulling Will to the ground and twisting his arms behind him. 'You're dead.' She prepared to stick the dagger into Will's back but was interrupted when the red-haired girl shrieked 'Stop!'.

Isabelle and Will both looked up. Jem was standing next to the girl with wide eyes. He opened his mouth to say something, but the red haired girl silenced him with a glare.

'Izzy' she growled, 'Get off of him.'

With a lot of reluctance, Izzy sat up with the dagger in her hand but still watched Will's every move.

'Pull up his sleeve.' the red head instructed.

Izzy and the girl both breathed a sigh of relief as they caught sight of the black runes twisting up Will's arm. 'I knew he looked familiar.' the girl murmured.

Jem looked at her, confused. 'Who?'

'You.'

Jem took a step back. 'How do you know me?'

The girl shrugged. 'You just looked so...familiar.'

Will turned to look at the red head. 'And...you are?'

The girl put her startling green eyes on Will. 'Clary Fairchild of the New York Institute.'