Chapter 3

Hey guys! This took a lot longer then planned to write as I have a lot on my plate but here it is. I hope it's as good as what you've been waiting for. And thanks to all the Wessa and Jessa lovers reading this!
- iliveandbreathwords

Chapter 3

'So...' Clary started, 'who are you guys?'

Clary and Isabelle were sitting opposite Will and Jem at a table in a crowded restaurant. The small sign outside stated that it was called Java Jones Coffee Shop. Even though Will hadn't a clue what a coffee shop was, he walked in without complaint.

Will, who had ordered a strange sandwich piled up with tomatoes, beef and lettuce and was currently toying at it with a fork , said, 'It is rather strange that they call this a hamburger, considering that it has absolutely no ham in it whatsoever.'

Clary sighed and looked at Jem. It wasn't impossible to picture this girl as a descendant of Charlotte and Henry, as her flaming red hair obviously came from Henry. 'I'll ask you then.' she said to Jem. 'Who are you?'

Jem looked a little uncomfortable. 'I am James Carstairs ,but you are welcome to call me Jem, and this is my parabatai, William Herondale.'

Isabelle looked up. She had been typing something on her strange block, but froze the moment Will's name had come out of Jem's mouth. Isabelle and Clary exchanged a look that suggested there was something they were not planning on sharing with Will and Jem.

After an awkward moment during which Isabelle and Clary communicated with facial expressions, Jem spoke up. "Is everything all right?"

Clary broke away from Isabelle's glare and turned to Jem with a fake smile plastered on her face. " You'll have to excuse us for a moment." And with that, Clary grabbed Isabelle's arm and dragged her to the corner of the room.

Five minutes later, Clary and Isabelle were still arguing in the little corner. Jem looked at Will with an exasperated expression. 'Should I go...'

Will held up his hand. 'Whatever they are talking about, they don't want us to hear. I, however, have a plan.'
Will plucked his stele out of his pocket and scribbled a hearing rune on his wrist. It took a moment for him to find the right voices to listen to, but soon he was grateful that he had.

'...thought Jace was the last. We did some family tree research on Thursday night, and it came up with nothing.' Clary was saying.

Isabelle threw her hands up. 'Well, why would these people have any reason to lie? They certainly aren't demons, or any downworlder. I'm one hundred percent sure they are shadowhunters. '

Clary turned away, deep in thought. Finally she looked up, a strange expression on her face. 'Have you seen their clothing?'

Isabelle looked at Clary like she was insane. 'Of course I have! Its not like I can see through them!'

Clary shook her head, her red hair bouncing. 'I mean, have you actually looked at it? It looks...Victorian. Elizabethan, maybe? I'm not sure. Either way, they seem old fashioned.'

Isabelle thought for a moment. 'They could be from that role playing thing back in Central Park.' she said, sounding unsure.

'I don't think so,' Clary said and looked back at Will and Jem with narrowed eyes. Jem waved cheerfully at them and Will scowled, still concentrating on their conversation.

Isabelle paused, then shrugged helplessly. 'Well, I'm all out of ideas.'

Clary looked troubled and leaned closer to Isabelle. 'Is Alec at the Institute right now?'