《one》

CHAPTER ONE:
Family Matters

Emile Irene Adler thought she had it all figured out

Emile Irene Adler thought she had it all figured out. Graduate high school, go to college, get a degree in behavioral science, find a job with a steady income, and marry a man she absolutely loved. That's how life is supposed to go isn't it?

Emile's story starts out like every other. Her alarm goes off, yelling at her to get out of bed and get ready for the day she was about to face. So she does.

She rolls out of bed, and grudges into the bathroom to get rid of the body odor that was radiating off of her. She hadn't showered in a few days since it was the weekend and no one else but her mother and extremely close best friend saw her.

As soon as she turns the water on, she gets undressed and steps into the steaming water that would cleanse her body of all bacteria and body odor. 

When Emile was little, she used to despise taking showers. Her and her mother would bicker over her taking showers before bed or in the mornings before school.

Now she never put up a fight about taking them. If she could, Emile would stay in the shower for as long as she wanted. It was her thinking place, aside from the roof top of her apartment building.

School was the last place Emile wanted to be. It was her last year in high school and it was just starting. Her junior year had gone by in such a flash, she didn't even remember how it ended. Soon she would be graduating and going off to college, leaving her mother behind.

Emile and her mother, Reyna had been on their own since Emile was seven. Her parents had gotten divorced when Emile was seven and her brother Matthew was twelve.

The relationship between the siblings had deteriorated quickly, thanks to their vile father. When the divorce happened, each parent claimed a child and went their separate ways.

Emile and her father never talked, not even on birthdays or holidays. Matthew and Emile would chat over little things but Emile hated making small talk, much like her mother.

Her and her mother, Reyna were a lot alike. They both got along so well that it didn't seem like a mother daughter relationship but more like a sister relationship. They clicked and bonded over their shared favoritism of movies, books, and their same sense of humor.

When the two would fight, it would be over something small and tedious, or something huge that had been weighing down on the both of them.

Emile was nearly finished getting herself ready for the day when her mother came barging into the room.

"I need your opinion. Does this make me look fat?" Reyna had come in wearing a tank top and half of her work uniform. Her black scrub top still lying on her bed.