Chapter 8

DCI Lopez and DI Lee

   The news of the car crash in Miami South Beach meant all those surfers and the people who were willing for a tan were in for a shock when they arrived; they would see many police cars surrounding the area with the police line going all around the area, policemen guarding the line. 

   Lopez and Lee were reported to the crime scene to investigate.

"Lopez!" called a young police officer, walking towards the two detectives. The two detectives turned to face the young detective. 

"What is it, Leo?" Lopez grunted. 

"The body's been taken in for some inspections. Looked badly burnt and quite-" Lopez raised a hand to stop him talking then kept walking towards the crime scene, followed by Lee. 

   The car was definitely burnt, as the young lad had stated. 

"Shit." Lee cursed, viewing the burnt car. Lopez nodded, ignoring her cursing and approached the other officers. 

"Another drunk." an officer informed Lopez, tapping his shoulder before leaving the scene. Lopez sighed and looked at the forensics at work, soon joined by Lee. 

"What do you think happened?" she asked, watching the forensics brushing away the fragments of mud on the burnt car. 

"A drunk fucktard drove here and landed in the water after he - or she - lost control of the car. Not that hard to work out, no need for any investigation." Lopez answered grimly. Lee sighed. 

"It might be a murder-" he scoffed after her comment.

"Nah." he answered which made Lee sigh again. 

   "SIR!" shouted one of the forensics. Lopez sighed and walked towards the person calling him. 

"What is it?" he questioned. 

"Look." she pointed at the number plate which was cleaned up, corners burnt with the metal wearing away. Lopez's eyes widened as he looked at the number plate over and over again. 

R387DM

   He studied the number plate then called Lee over. 

"What is it?" she asked. Lopez pointed at the plate. 'It's... no!' she gasped. 

"It belongs to that woman... Mrs Thompson." Lopez said. Lee nodded and took some pictures of the number plate. 

Lauren POV

   "WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" I shouted over the phone as Jake explained how a policeman came over to his house. 

"Nada. All I did say was that we weren't close enough for you to discuss anything with me and that's it." he answered, coolly.

"Good." I said, relaxing my muscles. 'What did he want anyway?' Jake sighed. 

"I already told you! You and Camila are reported missing, you're all over the news and your parents' are looking for you two." he answered. 

"So we're only reported missing then?" 

"Yeah." he added, 'Remember that you have to keep it-'

"Low key so that no one knows who you are, yes, I understand." I answered for him. 

"Good, good." he stayed quiet for a while before answering. 'How's you and the bae?' I sighed. 

"We're fine." I answered quickly, trying to avoid the question. 'How's your mum?'