The Town That Dreaded Sundown // Part Three

In the midst of searching for who knows how many hours, we must've fallen asleep

In the midst of searching for who knows how many hours, we must've fallen asleep. A loud, repetitive vibration pulled me away from my peaceful slumber. The sun was shining in the windows, making me close my eyes immediately.

Jughead shifted behind me as Betty made some crashing noise. I rolled over to see her going through her stuff on the floor, a panicked expression on her face.

"What?" Jughead mumbled.

"We fell asleep!" Betty practically screamed as she shoved everything in her bag. "How did we fall asleep?"

Me, still being half out of it, laughed into the couch cushion. "Exhaustion. It's not easy being us, Betts."

I felt Jughead's arm wrap back around me, tugging me impossibly closer. The sun was out of my face now, making it easier to watch the blonde scramble around on the floor.

"Oh, my God, she's gonna kill me. I have to go." Betty stared at her phone. I'm guessing it was her mom calling non-stop, as usual.

"What?" Jughead's voice was raspy as he tried to talk over the noise.

I blinked a few times to clear my vision but it wasn't working. My lack of sleep the previous nights was catching up and if being with Jughead meant sleep, I wasn't about to leave. I did need a cover up story though.

"Hey, Betts, mind covering for me? Great thanks," I mumbled, tucking my cheek against the pillow.

Betty either didn't hear me or ignored me and continued shuffling around on the floor. "My mom, she's gonna kill me. I have to go, okay. I'll call you guys later." With that, she was out the door with a slam. I could hear her car start and screech out of the lot before it was silent all over again.

Jughead sighed, his fingers playing with my hair. "Lied to your mom?"

"Lied to my mom," I confirmed as I rolled over and snuggled back up against him. "But it was totally one hundred percent worth it."

"Yeah," He agreed as he leaned forward to kiss my nose. His eyes closed again once he hit the pillow. "Always worth the lie."

I rolled my eyes at him before pulling a blanket over both of us and drifting back to sleep, fully content and happy.

--

"Nice t-shirt."

Mom's voice came from the doorway, startling me. I was in Ronnie's bedroom as she scanned the internet for bedroom decorations. The apartment reeked of paint from my room getting fixed and it was giving me a headache. Daddy wouldn't let me see any of it though, claiming it had to be a surprise.

Veronica stopped her scrolling to look over as Mom continued, "Will you still be wearing it when Archie's arrested for reckless endangerment or something worse?"

"Archie would never, Mom. He's being railroaded." Veronica didn't bat an eye at the insult to her boyfriend.

Mom walked towards us. "And you can say that, with absolute certainty, after watching that video?" Veronica sighed, obviously not up for Mom's games today. Our parent shrugged. "Maybe you can, or maybe you're just being loyal."