Tales from the Darkside // Part Two

early time update because i'm going ice skate and i'll forget

early time update because i'm going ice skate and i'll forget. this chapter is a little rough so read with caution please. enjoy :)

Snow flew in all directions as I walked home from school. Ronnie had gone ahead since I stayed back with Betty at the B&G. She was writing the final article before we went on break and she was determined to make it perfect.

The Pembrooke was silent when I walked in the lobby. Andre greeted me from his desk, which I returned, before heading up the stairs. I could hear my family talking to each other from my spot outside, which was never a good sign.

"Hey, I'm-" I stopped short, words failing. My family was sitting at the table, a piece of paper in between them as they all turned towards me. "Everything okay?" I asked as I tossed my jacket on the chair.

My parents exchanged glances before looking at Ronnie. She gave them a glare before turning towards me. "Van, love. Come sit."

I gave them a skeptic look as I walked over, taking the seat next to my sister. Mom pushed the letter towards me, a sad look on her face. I glanced at all of them, taking in their expressions. This wasn't gonna be good.

I pulled the letter towards me as I directed my attention to it.

Mr. and Mrs. Lodge,

Two days ago, Paul Marrows came to my office with his attorney, Penelope Peabody. Mr. Marrows was released from New York State Prison two weeks ago on parole. He was incarcerated for child abuse, domestic violence, and drug possession as well as a few other charges. Since Mr. Marrows has taken a rehabilitation course, it is possible for him to reclaim ownership of his daughter, Savanna Lynn Marrows, if he wishes.

Mr. Marrows has requested to be reunited with his daughter a few days from now. There will be many legal matters to discuss and all members of the family must be present. If you wish to meet with me beforehand, please feel free to do so. I will contact you soon with more details.

Sincerely,

Paul Sowerberry

"Vanna?" Ronnie's touch was almost invisible on my skin.

Daddy huffed, "I didn't even think this kind of thing was allowed."

"This isn't fair," Ronnie fumed, "He was dangerous before, he still is now!"

Mom shook her head. "I was under the impression that she was ours under legal contract, not just social services."

Daddy rubbed his temple. "We adopted her, Hermione. Not just foster care. She is ours. I'll get with Sowerberry about this immediately. There's no way in hell I'm letting that man in this apartment."

"He's done it before," I murmured to myself.

"Excuse me?" Mom's eyes were wide as she looked at me.