Chapter 21

At that moment I froze. I don't know what to do.

Do you go up and sing the song?

Should I just bail?

Should I beat Sam's ass for saying I would sing the national anthem?

The last option is definitely going to happen. I'm for sure gonna slap Sam.

"Go Diamond, the game won't start until you sing the national anthem." Ruby said as she nudged my side.

I looked around me and everyone was still looking at me. I guess I have no choice but to go sing the national anthem.

I made my way down to the field and stood next to my principal. I turned around me looked at Sam grinning from ear to ear.

Fucker.

He handed me the mic and I grabbed it. I looked at every single person that was on the stands.

Some of them was surprised and some were like Britney and her cheerleading barbies, whispering.

I heard them giggle and some of them took out their phones, ready for me to mess up.

The instrumental of the song started playing and I instantly got scared.

My hands got clammy. My forehead was glistening with sweat. My mouth was dry. My knees were wobbly. I was just a hot mess.

Without thinking I opened my mouth and started singing.

"Oh, say can you see,
By the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed,
At the twilight's last gleaming?"

When I hit the last note of the song I slowly opened my eyes. Everyone's mouth hung open. Their eyes were expanding by the second.

Britney and her friends that were recording put down their phone and were staring at me in awe. I turned around and Sam was staring at me with googly eyes.

What did I do?

Did I sound awful?

After everyone snapped out of their dazed state they slowly started clapping.

One small clap turned into the whole stand of people cheering for me. Ruby Sam, and Noah was 90% of the cheering.

I heard Britney tell her friends "she wasn't that good, I could do better".

I heard she was the reason our music teacher had to get hearing aids. She popped his ear drums.

"Thank you Ms.Ryder for that amazing cover of the national anthem".

I shook my head and handed him the mic. Even on the way back to my seat I had people that were still cheering for me.

"Good job Diamond, you did amazing".

Ruby said as she hugged, more like squeezed me.

"Thank you".

I managed to say. Ruby might look small but she has the strength of a thousand bears.

Once she allowed me to breathe I took advantage of the moment and took many, many, deep breathes.

I didn't appreciate air until Ruby took it away from me.

2 hours later

We won!!!

Woops and screaming was all that was heard around me. Everyone was jumping around and clapping their hands.

Sam scored the winning goal which was another reason why the crowd was going wild.

The cheerleaders were the worst ones. They were doing front flips, splits, and back flips. Like calm the fuck down, it's not that serious.

The football players were celebrating and slapling each other's butts.

I would love to play on the boys football team so I could get to slap their big butts.

Boys have big butts but they don't know what to do with it, which is a shame.

Without even thinking I grabbed Ruby's hand and ran down to the field. I saw Sam and Noah celebrating with their team.

Ruby jumped on Noah while I tackled Sam to the ground. He took off his helmet and kissed my forehead.

"You won."

I screamed over all the surrounding noises.

"Its all because you stretched me right" he said as he kissed my nose.

I got up and lifted him up with me. We were staring into each other's eyes for what seems like hours.

Sam touched my face and started to lean in closer to me. I closed my eyes and waited on his next move.

I felt his breathe on my cheeks and his finger tips slowly rubbed my face.

"BABY YOU WON!!!!"

Way to ruin the moment.

Sam and I looked in the direction the high pitched voice was coming from and rolled our eyes.

Britney and her posse was jumping up and down like monkeys with their sparkly pom poms flying everywhere.

Sam wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me to his side. He looped his hands in my belt way and I played with arm.

Britney was about to jump on Sam if he didn't take a step back. She's literally throwing herself at him. It's just sad.

Sam clearly wasn't interested. Why is she acting like she's his dog? Get a grip women.

"You wanna go celebrate at my house. Just the two of us"

She said while she batted her eyelashes.

Whoever told her what she was doing is cute lied to her. Deeply.

"No thank you, I'll rather spend my time with my princess"

Sam said as he grabbed my hands. I looked back at Britney and winked at her. Her face had hatred, jealousy, and anger written all over it. I couldn't care less.

We made our way to Noah who had his arm around Ruby. I smiled as he pulled her into a big hug.

"Come on guys, we're going out to eat".

Sam said once we were in front of Noah and Ruby.

They both nodded their heads and followed us out of the field. We said goodbye to Ruby and Noah and made our way to Sam's car.

Once I sat in the passenger seat it hit me. By it I mean Sam's smell.

I expected him to smell like sweat and grass but he smelt like cologne. Now that I think about it Noah didn't stink either.

"How come you don't stink?"

"I don't sweat when I play football" he said as he shrugged his shoulder. He said it like that's the most normal thing in the world.

I thought that when you play football you have to sweat. What kind of human being doesn't?

"Sam that's the most weirdest thing I ever heard" I said as I played with my belly piercing.

"Well when you're as good as me it makes sence" he said cockily. I just nodded my head because I knew I wasn't going to win that battle.

As I was waiting for us to reach the diner my eyes started to slowly close.

"Go to sleep princess" Sam said as he ran his fingers through my hair. He leaned over and kissed my forehead.

I nodded my head and slowly drifted off to sleep.

"Night night princess" I heard him whisper.

Goodnight Sam.