Trick or Treat, Freak

•Hey guys, quick note before you read the chapter. I wanna thank all of you from the bottom of my heart from the amount of support and love you have shown the book. I have developed such a strong bond for FiFi and I won't be getting rid of her anytime soon. So thank you all so much for the encouraging messages as it brightened up my day so much and I hope you enjoy the rest of the book. Kisses, Chloe x•

-1983-

I grabbed El's hand and made a run for the exit of the school. If we caught up with Dustin or Mike right now they wouldn't think we're dead. I was covered in slim and dirt. The skirt stuck to my legs as if it was there all along.

Once nearing the trees near the hill where Mike's house were, I turned to El and gave her a relatives smile. I wasn't so relieved what I saw over the hill.

Police cars lined the garden path as Mike's house was full of them. We lightly jogged up to the window where I saw Mike talking to police officers. El looked as if she was about to break into tears.

I moved 2 windows down to see Dustin sitting on the last step of Mike's stairs with his head in his hands. My heart had stopped a little bit. I wanted him to look at me.

Look at me once more.

Once I heard a bit of commotion inside, Dustin shot his head up towards the window I was standing at. But I was already gone. El sprinted in the direction of the woods as I could hear people running out of Mike's house.

"Their looking for us" El said slightly scared as I nodded my head. And I didn't look back. I can't see Dustin. And it's hurting me more than he'll ever know.

-present-

"El, can you please just be patient?" I say a bit agitated. I was trying to concentrate and she kept asking me questions.

"Patient?" I hear her. I look up to her and just shrug my shoulders. El had found two old white bedsheets in the spare closet and we both had quickly made a plan.

We wanted to feel normal for once. Be just two little girls wanting to have some fun Halloween night and not be stuck in this cabin 24/7. I slowly cut the two eyeholes out of the second bed sheet.

Once done, I gave one to El and shoved one over my head. I looked in the long mirror and begin to giggle and so did El.

We looked silly.

We thought this was the best plan to not get caught if we were allowed to go out tonight. It was all up to Hopper now if he was gonna let us go or not. We heard him making breakfast a few minutes ago and decided to go show him our costumes.

We just stood behind him waiting to turn around. I saw him flip two slices of French toast on the pan before turning. He let out a shriek that made me chuckle a lot.

"Ghost" Me and El say at the same time. Dustin told me a while ago that his favourite movie was Ghostbusters. I don't know exactly what that was but I was a ghost now. Hopper raised his eyebrow at the two of us before putting his plate on the table and sitting down.

"Trick or treat" I say. He suddenly stops eating and turns to the both of us.

"You want to go trick or treating?" He say in a funny tone. I nod my head along with El.

"They won't see us" El confirms. Hopper just sighs and continues eating.

"Who won't see you?" He says.

"The bad men" I reply while sitting down at my usual seat at the table. El just continues to stand behind me.

"You both know the rules" He says standing up and began to push El to her seat so she would eat her breakfast.