eleven

i plan for us to have our lunch at a restaurant fifteen minutes away from my flat. it includes some vegetarian options in its menu, which is perfect for violet (she told me about being a vegetarian in a text).

     we all ride my car, violet beside me, while the boys are all on the back seat. it's a quick ride, mostly filled with silence and slight mumbles from dan, phil, and chris from the back.

     every now and then, i catch myself looking at violet beside me, who always seems to be looking out on the window, not glancing back at me, even for once. 

      when i stop for the red light, i poked violet's leg lightly. she startles a bit and looks at me. "hey, uh. . . what's up?" she asks, shifting in her seat.

     "sorry, i was just wondering what you might be thinking about, it looks deep, since you've been looking out on the window for thirteen minutes. or maybe you're getting sentimental?"

     "it's nothing. just thinking. normally. don't worry about it." she says and gives me a sweet smile, then, she touches my leg lightly, soon enough getting her hand off me quickly. the light turns green and i drive.

     dan clears his throat, making me look at the rear view mirror, reflecting them. they all have weird smiles on their faces. i roll my eyes and smile slightly as i park in front of the restaurant.

     as we enter the small but packed restaurant, the smell of herbs and spices immediately hit my nose strongly, making me hungry.

     we sit by the window, overlooking the beach from afar. violet sits by the window, chris beside her. i sit in front of her, phil beside me, and dan beside phil.

the waiter hands us the menu, and we choose what to eat. violet chooses to have their chickpea veggie wrap, while dan and chris choose to have burgers. i choose to have some fried chicken while phil ordered their club sandwich. 

     we all decide to just drink water and not order any other drink. we all choose our sides and the waiter repeats our order. she gets it right so she goes back to their kitchen.

     after ten minutes, our food arrived and soon enough, we are eating. the chicken tastes good, it's juicy and the skin is crispy, but it's nowhere near oily. it seems that my friends are enjoying their food as well.

     as we are eating, we slip in few chats here and there. i notice that chris keeps on talking with violet, which makes violet preoccupied, so i can't talk to her. i talk to dan and phil instead.

     once we are done eating, we stay for a while and chat over sorbet.

     "you know what, this is one of those days where i just go somewhere and not vlog, which is relaxing for me." dan says as he swallows a spoonful of sorbet. "well, no one has recognized us yet, which makes me believe that i still may be normal." phil adds in.

     "i just realized that i haven't uploaded a video for a while. . ." chris tells us. "yeah, your fans are going kind of crazy," i answer. "sorry guys, i can't relate; i'm not famous nor a youtube sensation." violet laughs afterwards as she finishes her sorbet. chris looks at her as she laughs.

     "soon enough, you'll probably be." chris reassures her. i interrupt. "you told me you wanted to make a cover of, uh, what's it--harry style's song?" she nods in reply. "can i ask you guys a question?" dan butts in, then adds, "how in the world did you two meet again?"

     "um, at the beach. she plays the ukulele there. she was great." i see violet blush lightly.

     "yeah, and uh, i always see him doing vlogs and stuff, which made me curious." "then, one day, when she approached me, surprisingly, our houses were near. and i guess that's where it all started."

     "peej, would you mind to talk to me for a sec? i wanna say something privately." chris interrupts. i shrug and we stand up and go outside of the restaurant.

     "what is it?" i ask him. "why don't you confess already? tell her that you like her!" "w-what? no, chris i can't--"

     "why can't you? you guys seem to fit each other, and violet's nice and intelligent and talented and pretty, et cetera." chris tells me. "chris, i. . . i don't think i'm ready for that. the last time i was in a relationship, it didn't end well. don't want this to go to that direction too."

     "don't you think it's time to fix things between you and sophie? it's been so long since i've seen you seem slightly genuinely happy for once."

     "chris, i'm just not ready yet, okay?"

     "okay; but i'm telling you, someone like her--she'll attract people quickly. quicker than she attracted you. and don't contest if she starts dating someone else."

     "what are you trying to tell me, chris?"

     "that i may or may not like her too."