Chapter Two - Issues

"Hey Aubrey," Taryn shouted from across the lobby while shuffling her way over in a much too snug pencil skirt. Her dark curls bouncing up with every small step she took in my direction and as always, she was a little out of breath by the time she had reached where I was standing. "What are those dates you needed off again? I just have to double check that they were put in the system."

My stomach did an uncomfortable twist at the mention of the trip that I was still deciding if I wanted to go on. "It was the twenty-six through the first of January."

I felt Taryn's dark eyes look me over like only a motherly figure would, so I stayed focused on the timesheet before me, making sure that I would be able to greet all the guests when they arrived. Working under Taryn was a feat of its own because she generally cared about all of us and our well-being. Hell, when Kristina grandma was in the hospital for a week, she forced her to take the time off and she still got paid.

"If I didn't know any better, I would say you aren't excited about your ski trip."

I sighed and clicked the minimize button on the computer, bringing up my home screen; a photo of Xavier and myself at the beach last summer. If you looked closely enough, you could see his mom in the corner of the photo. "Xavier can't go."

"His mother again?"

Giving her a slow nod, I started chewing on my bottom lip thinking about telling her that I probably wasn't going to go either way. "I know she just is always afraid that something horrible is going to happen to him while she isn't there, but I'm starting to think that she is going to make us move in with her when she is married."

"Take it from me," Taryn started while shuffling the papers in her hands before stealing a glance around to make sure no one was going to approach the check-in counter. "You have to consider your in-laws before you get married. If she is this controlling now, think about what is going to happen when you are married. She's probably going to want to dictate how you raise your kids, probably going to say that you don't know how to cook for her son – the list just goes on."

She had a point. It had been glaring at me for years, but I kept thinking once Xavier and I went off to college, we would have a little bit more freedom. It had the opposite effect, making it much more difficult to really focus on our relationship without his mother in the picture. Literally.

"I know," I sighed again, zeroing in on a guest that had just walked in through the main door of the hotel. "I guess after the new year I'm going to have to do something about this."

---

Xavier picked me up from the apartment around seven and we made our way to the sports bar he had suggested we meet our guests for the night. I knew the only reason he suggested the place was because there was a hockey game on and he wanted to be able to watch it without blowing off his family friend.

"You're not going to leave all the talking to me, right?" I asked for the third time as we walked in and gave our party number to the hostess who started to gather the approximate number of menus.

"Of course not, baby." He gave my hand a little squeeze. "I can't leave you just sitting there looking all hot and sexy."

I rolled my eyes at him, but smirked from the compliment. "This is a family friend. And I know family is important to you, so I had to make sure that I looked good."

"Oh? So, you don't want to look good for me?"

I poked my tongue out at him while I slid into my seat with Xavier taking the one across from me. "I like to look a different kind of good for you."

That got a good eyebrow raise out of him and another glance over my outfit. It wasn't anything amazing by the way he was talking; just a simple black dress that fell a little over my knees and I completed the look with some matching black heels. If only he knew how I had spent the early evening stressing over my outfit, only to decide that looking like I was going to a funeral would be the safest bet.

"Maybe I'll get to see that look some time tonight?"

I smirked over at him now. "I guess we will see what time we get out of here then."

"My mom can wait, I'll just tell her that something else came up and I need to be out for an extra hour or two."

"Hm," I continued to grin over at him before the waiter comes over and introduces himself and asks to take our drink orders. Xavier ordered his standard beer while I asked for a water and a glass of their house red wine.

We fell silent for a bit while we waited for our guests and our drinks. I didn't mind, it gave me a moment to think over some things like what I needed to study for my last econ final and how the night would go if Xavier didn't have to head home right away.

"Hey!" A loud, high voice practically shouted from the across the restaurant.

Xavier quickly stood up with a smile on his face and arms wide open, "Cassandra! It's so good to see you!"

A small, tan girl made her way over to where we were sitting, well where I was still sitting. She was wearing a simple pair of blue jeans and low cut shirt that was showing the top of her lacy brassiere. Her smile was wide and looked to be very much excited to see my husband-to-be, and I would be lying if I didn't admit that for a moment I was a tad jealous of her.

The pair exchange a long hug before Xavier pulled away and brushed some of his blonde hair out of his eyes. "Cassie, I would love for you to meet my fiancée, Brie."

On that que, I stood up and offered up a small smile and my hand in her direction. Instead of a polite handshake, Cassandra stepped around the table and wrapped her arms around me in a warm and friendly embrace.

"Oh, it's nice to meet you," she proclaimed happily before heading back over to take a seat next to Xavier.

"You did bring your boyfriend with you, right? Otherwise, we could have just had you over at my mom's for dinner. I know she is dying to see you!"

Cassandra shook her head and gave another wide smile, her white teeth outshining the dim sports bar lighting and I knew if I stared at her for too long, I was probably going to give myself a headache. "He's just parking the car. We didn't want to keep you guys waiting."

Just then the waiter appeared again with our drinks and asked Cassie what she would like. I happily sipped on my wine while Cassie order a scotch for her date and a water for herself. It suddenly dawned on me that I didn't think she was even legal to drink.

"Oh there he is," she stated when she turned her head and jumped up excitedly from her seat.

I didn't glance up right away as I was stealing a glance at the menu trying to decide what I should order and glancing at the prices to make sure I could tease Xavier about my choice later in the evening. With another sip of my wine, I looked up at the man that Cassandra had wrapped herself around.

"Xavier, Brie, I want you to meet -"

My stomach sank at the man standing at the end of the table, his dimpled smirk fading as we looked at one another. "Stephen?"

Author's Note: Remember, I know this isn't perfect since it's part of NaNoWriMo, I will be editing come December or January