04 | Shall Your Strength Be As Beautiful As Your Soul?

"Oh Amelia, you seem very much in the depths of despair today," Anne addressed as we continued eating our lunch. "Would you like to talk to us about something?"

I shook my head 'no' in response.

"No thank you," I mumbled. "I'd rather not talk about it."

Anne and Diana exchanged looks, looks that didn't help me feel better at all, before deciding to forget about it.

"Okay then," Diana sighs. "We can't force you to do anything."

"Thank you." I began to zone out from the conversation that I didn't know I was part of, and honestly didn't care about.

I dreaded the time when I had to go home, for I was scared that I would be late once again. I turned around to see Gilbert and his friends walking into the schoolhouse, making sure to flash me a sympathetic look as his friends sat down. I turned around as he did so.

I loathed Gilbert Blythe. I loathed him more than I could ever imagine.

But it seemed that he didn't feel the same back. But maybe perhaps he only wanted to be friends? Maybe being friends wouldn't hurt.

Anything other than friends would cost more damage than any natural disaster in this world.

"Amelia?" I snapped out of my daydream and looked into Anne's grayish green eyes, which were filled with much confusion. "You're completely sure that you are alright?"

"Yes," I reply simply. "I'm fine."

Once again, the two girls exchanged glances before shrugging it off. We continue to finish up our lunches before Mr. Phillips addressed that we would be getting back to work soon.

"So, how do you like Avonlea so far?" Diana inquired, giggling at the joke Anne had made just a moment ago. I shrugged at the question.

"I guess it could be better," I replied. Diana's lips tugged downwards into a frown.

"I'm guessing you don't like to smile very much," she sighs. "That seems very–"

"You know smiling is good for your soul." I turn around and look up to see a girl with blonde hair, like the color of the warm sand as the sun shines down onto it, and the brightest green eyes. Freckles speckled across her face, and I found myself trying to connect the dots in my head.

"Are you saying my soul is dark?" I queried her, my head slightly tilting to the side. She giggles and shakes her head, causing her hair to fall in her face.

"Of course not," she replies. "I thought maybe I could make you smile, for I haven't seen you smile once since you've arrived."

I shrugged once again at her reply.

"I guess smiling just isn't my style." Her lips which were just upwards in a smile now
drooped to a frown.

"I've seen you smile only once," Anne cut into the conversation. "And may I say, it was a very beautiful smile."

"Thank you Anne."

"My name is Ivy Wilson," she announces ever so boldly. Anne and Diana both smiled, Diana already knowing who she was.

"Anne Shirley-Cuthbert," Anne announced proudly. "And please note to spell 'Anne' with an 'e.'"

Anne made me want to smile. She was such a radiant soul from what I could see already, she was truly an inspiration.

"I suppose I haven't introduced myself to you either." I rolled my eyes as I turned back around to meet eyes with yet another boy, along with his friends who were standing behind him, one of them being Gilbert Blythe.