Chapter 7 - Elliot

It was a hard idea to grasp - Finn leaving the country. I tried to tell myself that after this was all over she'd be back, but honestly, I didn't believe that was going to happen. This was most likely goodbye.

"Keep in touch okay? Promise?" Finn asked. I nodded. I watched as Sam took Finn's small suitcase from her, throwing it in the back of their car. Rain poured down on us harshly, but it wasn't able to wash away the blanket of sorrow draping over the world.

I watched as our parents said their condolences. Michelle was hugging my mom fiercely, and then they quickly kissed each other's cheeks. My dad was clapping Henry on the back, wishing the best of luck. I felt a rock solidifying in my stomach.

"Well, take it easy brother," Sam called. I grasped his hand and gave him a pat on the back, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. Yes, Finn was my best friend, but I had known Sam just as long as her, and he was the closest thing I had to a brother.

"You too man." My voice wobbled much more than I wished it would. Sam gave me one last smile before turning to my parents. Michelle walked up to me, blinking what was either tears or rainwater out of her eyes.

"Take care okay Elliot?" She said, the Brazilian accent adding a flourish to her words. "You keep in touch with my kids - they need you more than you realize," She said, and then gave me a brief hug. "You are always part of this family. We'll see you guys in a week or so," She whispered. I closed my eyes against her shoulder, feeling the meaning of her words resonating in my heart.

"Thank you, Michelle," I said quietly. I let go, and then turned to shake hands with Henry, who wished me and my family good luck on making it to Europe. That rock tossed around painfully in my gut.

"Charlie, Lucas," Michelle called. "Come say goodbye." The two little boys ran out, their bright raincoats flashing. Charlie gave me a small hug around the waist while Lucas clung to my leg. Again, that lump in my throat refused to go away. I patted them on the head lightly.

"I'll see you guys in Europe, okay?" I said. Charlie, who had always been the quieter of the youngest Bridgemans, gave me a silent smile. Lucas was babbling, his toothless mouth making his words practically incomprehensible.

"Bye bye, E'yiot!" Lucas sputtered, his chubby cheeks squishing together as he tried to pronounce my name. I couldn't help but smile. I had been in the hospital the day this kid was born - he was as much my little brother as he was Finn and Sam's. It was hard to say goodbye.

"Don't worry, El here will see us in Europe," a voice called. I glanced up and saw Finn making her way back over from saying goodbye to my parents. Her long hair was plastered to her face and back from the rain, but her bright yellow raincoat kept her sweater from getting soaked. She gently pried her little brothers off me, and then sent them to the car. I almost thought she was going to follow them without a proper goodbye. Her crutch was pinned under her arm, but I was glad to see she hardly leaned on it.

"So, 12 hours of no contact huh?" I asked her when she finally turned back to me. She nodded. I swallowed thickly, trying to process that. I would have to wait 12 hours to see if she made it okay. And in that time my parents would have to find us three plane tickets.

"I asked for the inflight Wi-Fi, but its never really reliable... my parents said no anyways," Finn explained. I took a deep breath, flicking a piece of my rather long hair out of my eyes.

"But you promise - the minute you can, you will call right?" I asked. Finn nodded, and gave me a closed lipped smile.

"Promise," She whispered. I saw her parents hop in their car. She was leaving soon.