Chapter 19 - Finn

We had just stopped to gas up the car when a large van pulled around the corner. It obviously used to be white, but it was so dirty that it was hard to tell now. I glanced Francis from where I stood filling up the tank. Cold air bit at my neck, so I popped the collars of my aviator jacket up. Darren came out of the store, a few bags in hand. The van came to a stop a few hundred yards down the street.

"Other survivors?" Darren asked his sister-in-law quietly as he set the supplies in the backseat of the car. I waited for Francis's response, but the gas pump clicked and then I had to focus my attention on finishing that up. I didn't notice the figures getting out of the car until they had walked up close.

"Hey man? The store have anything left in it?" a voice called to Darren. I finished up the gas, not bothering to pay as I screwed the gas cap back on. I turned to the group, taking in the clean-shaven man standing near Elliot's uncle.

"Not much – there's some drinks and some crap food if that's what you're interested in. All I got was water and some pretzels," Darren said lightly, but I caught the ever-so-slight edge in his tone.

"Ah bummer... Been looking for some med stuff – got a guy with a bad bite back at the house. Came over from Idaho, been lookin for some help since we passed through Cheyenne." The man looked away. Darren glanced at Francis. I stayed on the other side of the car, wondering if the group had seen me yet. My short hair blew in front of my face, the cold air biting at the back of my exposed neck. I repeated his words in my head, trying to figure out which part of his claim tugged harshly on the ruck in my gut.

"Sorry man, been looking for the same stuff for a while too. Seems like we're SOL," Darren said lightly. I kept watching through the windows of the Range Rover. I waited for the group to take off, but the man was still staring at the empty store. Francis and her brother-in-law shifted. I felt an odd rock in my stomach. Slipping my hand into the front pocket of my aviator jacket as quietly as possible, I pulled out the phone Scott had given me and quickly texted Elliot.

Finishing up at the gas station. found another group of survivors. they're being weird... if we don't check up in a bit come check up. See you soon.

I didn't wait for a response, but I didn't really get the chance to. I had just turned the phone off when a body was slammed into the side of the gas pump. I whipped my head up, looking through strands of messy hair to see what was going on.

One of the large men had tackled Darren to the ground, throwing him to the side. I felt my breath leave in a rush, watching in horror as the men grabbed for Francis. She whipped out her gun, pointing in at the men. The whole scene halted. I gulped.

Slipping my own gun out of the waistband of my pants, I crept around the corner of the car and crouched behind the back wheel. Francis was talking.

"We want nothing with you, we are leaving right now," she said sternly. I could hear Darren struggling.

"Yeah yeah, everyone has their story. Sorry sweetheart, but today's not your lucky day," the man cooed. I bit down hard on my lip, slipping the phone out of my pocket again. This time I called Elliot and kept the phone on silent. The call went through, but I kept the volume off so I wouldn't be found.

"Just let us leave, we can even give you some supplies," Francis argued. I peeked out from around the corner, waiting. The gun felt heavy in my hand. Memories of being kidnapped with my family flashed through my eyes painfully, but I shoved them down with a grit of my teeth.

"We don't want no supplies now," the man said. I was about to pop up, but a gunshot echoed through the area. Heart hammering in my chest, I burst up, my gun ready.