2

Chapter 2

So just yesterday, I was this poor girl who lived with her parents in a house almost quite identical to a barn, and it was the year 1998 wherein I was draining not only from heartbreak but also from poverty. And now I've woken up nineteen years later in a whole different reality where I've married a fucking doctor and bore four daughters.

Someone kill me.

The twins definitely inherited their brown hair from the man in front of me, who happens to be my husband and the father of my children. The thought disgusts me and even sends my whole body the inability to move. "This is not possible," I mumble alertly to myself, rubbing my eyes multiple times. I take a few steps backward, shaking my head, "this is not funny."

The man in front of me shoots me an unreadable look, his electric blue eyes full of judgmental but uninterpreted feelings as he combs his messy hair the color of the bark of the tree. I feel Amy take my right hand for support, as if she knows that I might run off in a few seconds.

"You're unwell, aren't you?" His words make my heart start racing two times faster as he draws himself near me. He plants a quick kiss on my forehead, making my cheeks burn, unfamiliar to the gesture. Even when he's wearing jogging pants along with a simple white shirt, he manages to look strikingly handsome, wealthy and powerful.

"I'm okay." I say through gritted teeth, reassuring not only them but myself.

"I was out for my morning jog, in case you didn't read my text in your iPhone." He fills me up with information I didn't know I even needed with a smile, causing chills to run down my spine. There's something intriguing about the way he speaks to me. His eyes gaze into mine, and I fear my eyes might betray the amount of emotions I'm trying to hide.

"iPhone?" He's definitely not bad-looking, anyone can see that. Unlike me, he's not worn out by his old age. In fact, he looks oddly fit and terribly tall. His stoic structure only makes my self-esteem worse, but I show no sign of my insecurities, knowing perfectly well that they should be put aside.

He nods. "Yeah. Did you see my text?"

I don't say anything, restraining myself from running away. "What the hell is an iPhone?" My face crumples into exhaustion, "can anyone please tell me what's going on?"

As usual, Amy and the man wear faces built with confusion and anxiousness.  Amy lets go out of my hand and nudges the man's shoulder. "I don't know what's wrong with her, Dad. Mommy has been acting so strange today."

Dad. Mommy. The titles are so disturbing that it makes me want to bury myself. Yet the sincerely concerned looks on their faces and the knowable features Amy and the other three girls share are definitely difficult to ignore. "It's like she doesn't even know me." Amy supplies bitterly.

It's either I'm really dreaming or I've woken up to my future.

"Skyler," the man catches my full attention with the way he utters my name, "you know who I am?"

Knowing that it's no use trying to prove myself as someone from the past who somehow got to wake up in a different timeline, I play along. "You're... my husband," I get the words out as smoothly as I can, "My one and only. My lover. The love of my life." I try my best not to cringe at my answer, knowing perfectly well that just yesterday, I meant those words for someone else.