12

Chapter 12

I still remember the sound of the ringing of the school bell for lunch.

Freshman year. September 1994.

I headed out of my classroom and made my way to the cafeteria, only to see a bunch of students already inside lining up. Carlyle and Pina waved at me as I approached them with a sigh, "It's a pretty long line." I said with devastation, forming a frown.

"Good thing I brought Mom's homemade meal to school for lunch instead," Pina said with a snap of her fingers, putting on a winning smirk, "although the cafeteria food is a lot more delicious."

Carlyle and I laughed at her statement. Pina's Mom wasn't exactly a good chef, or a good cook, but she tried to at least prepare a meal that would satisfy her child. Pina came from a broken family with both her parents separated, and her older brother in the black market. Like me, she and I only only got to go school because of our academic excellence, earning us a scholarship.

Carlyle groaned, knowing that her stomach is in need of food. She diverted her gaze on the long line. "Lucky you. I'm going to go line up. Come on, Skye—"

Before I can react, I heard my name from another person across the room. "Skyler!" The voice gave me chills and I suddenly felt butterflies inside my stomach.

Draco Roberto ran towards me with his bad boy smirk and messy black hair. He was panting, and he looked frustrated. My heart melted at the sight of him as the girls started eyeing him flirtatiously. "I got in the football team!" Without a look of doubt, he opened his arms and directly hugged me, "thank you for telling me I could do it!"

My heart squeezed. It was freshman year, and he and I weren't together. Yet. "There's really no need for this hug, Draco." I whispered to him, knowing the amount of glares sent at my direction.

He let go immediately and looked down at his shoes, embarrassed. "Sorry, maybe I just got too excited," he giggled like a child, only making both Pina and Carlyle cough. They knew I loved it when he would do that. "but come on, let's go celebrate!"

"It's lunch, I need to eat." I reminded after I playfully punched his right shoulder.

"We can always go out of school and go to a restaurant or something," he suggested with a big smile on his face, "come on, Skye."

They said Draco was bad influence, but I found him quite amusing. He and I broke rules together, and made numerous memories.

Like what I said, we were inseparable.

"Mom!" I hear Hannah scream, bringing me back to the real world. She looks like she's about to explode. Her cheeks are red and puffy, and her mouth forms a thin line.

"H-huh?" I stutter the words out with confusion.

"Belle's not coming to dinner," she tells me softly with a sigh, then she turns to Maya. "Can you at least ask your twin what's going on?"

It's a Monday night today, and everyone but Belle is present in the dining room. Ashton stays silent, and it's clear he noticed my change of behavior after I visited my parents yesterday and found out about us getting a divorce.