3. Willa

Like a fool, overflowing with embarassment and anger, I hike my skirt up and rush out the front door. I run into the bouncer but quickly regain my footing and keeping running. One of my shoes fall off on the steps, but at this point, I don't care. I run towards the back of the house and find a garden, surrounded by high-rising gates. I let myself fall into a patch of peonies. I bring my knees to my chest and weep.

I hear rustling from the left of me, and look up to see Matthew, the finance guy. Why he is out here is beyond me, but I don't want him to see me cry. "Please," I say, "if you're here to pity me, you'll only mortify me further."

"You have such a unique way of speaking." He observes. "It's like you belong the 18th century or something." He hands me my shoe, and I take it hastily.

"Oh, I see. You're not here to pity me, only to mock my words and watch me struggle to operate at my weakest." I retaliate.

"No, I meant that I like that you talk fancy-like. You're above Chloe DeLawrence, I hope you know that." He says gently.

"Yes, well being wiser than Chloe DeLawrence isn't exactly the most difficult task I've ever encountered." I shoot back, ignoring his compliment.

He changes the subject. We sit in the patch of peonies and banter back and forth for about an hour. He is really funny, though that's not something I would tell him. I like the way he looks at me, as if there's no one in the world he'd rather be talking to. I decide he's charasmatic and fun and I don't mind talking to him. I actually enjoy myself.

"You, Willa Ordee, are the most fasinating girl I've ever met." He says bluntly.

"What the hell is wrong with me, then?" I ask, appalled.

"No, I just meant you're more captivating than other girls." He corrects.

"What the hell is wrong with other girls?" I furrow my brows.

"Wow, you really cannot take a compliment, can you? I've been sitting here trying to take your mind off of what just happened back there and all you want to do is argue. I don't get you." He says honestly.

"Well, thank you then, for taking my mind off of Chloe. You were sucessful." I didn't even notice how kind he was being until he pointed it out.

"Glad to hear it. Why don't I take you home?" He offers.

I look at him skeptically. Mom has warned me time and time again about stranger danger. But, if he worked for Christoff, he has to be a nice guy, right? Christoff hates criminals and bad people and negativity. When he watches the news, he shakes his head at all the evil in the world. So why would he hire a bad guy? He wouldn't.

"Alright." I agree. Matthew helps me up, then starts to walk towards where I assume his limo was waiting. But then, I remember that when I get home, Chloe will be there. I couldn't handle another episode tonight. I grab Matthew's arm and he stops to look at me. "Wait... I- I don't want to go back to that empty house. Chloe will-"

"Ok, I see." He says. "Well... Why don't you come to my house? It's not too far from yours."

In any other situation, I would say no. I have just met this guy, and he's offering to let me stay at his house. But I don't have the will to go home, and I don't have enough cash on me for any of these fancy L.A. hotels. So, I say, "Do you mind? Do you really want to leave so early, just because... I mean, surely your wife-"

"Nope, no woman at home, and there'll be another party just like this next weekend." He smoothly answers my questions. "Come on, it's chilly out here." He grabs my hand and leads me around the house, towards the street packed with limos. He pulls me to a shiny black car, one of the only actual cars on the street.