A Surprise Engagement

Con artists. That's exactly what street vendors were, the majority of them at least. It never ceased to amaze you with how easily they could lie straight to your face in order to swindle you out the few coins you had: a friendly smile always spread across their face easily tricking outsiders and ignorant nobles. However, they were complete and utter fools if they thought you could be so easily manipulated. You lived in this city long enough to be knowledgeable of their conniving tricks, and you knew for certain that the eggs before you now were by no means worth a silver piece each. Hell, they weren't even worth a full copper piece.

"These are very, very, very rare eggs from the Ice-Feathered Illian Finch!" A tattered old woman exclaimed defensively from behind her counter of goods. "A silver piece is a great deal for the most delicious meal you'll ever have in you entire life. These here normally go for a gold piece each. What you've got rightchere is a steal."

"You're right! This is a steal. I'm sure you've been robbing plenty of people of their hard earned money because these are just overpriced common chicken eggs!" You didn't hold back from yelling at the lady, as you began to get a few glances from various passersby.

"Now don't go around making accusations like that when you have no proof." The lady muttered quietly, her eyes darting around you with worry, clearly not wanting to make a scene. That's how most of these smiling con artists were. They never wanting anyone to find out about their dubious words. "These are Ice-Feathered Illian Finch eggs."

"No. Ice-Feathered Illian Finch eggs have a slight tint of blue to them! These are just plain brown, just like any normal chicken egg! You are just-"

"A copper! A copper! Just a copper each!" The lady quickly interjected, stopping you from bringing more suspicious stares towards her.

You glowered at the older lady's flustered and anxiety ridden face. "Chicken eggs don't cost a full copper piece."

"The-These aren't chicken eggs. They are Ice-Feathered Illian Finch eggs." The lady managed to say meekly, acting like you were the villain.

It infuriated you to no end.

You found your hand taking hold of one of her oh-so precious 'Ice-Feathered Illian Finch' eggs before holding it a few inches over your head. A feeling of dread filled the lady as you began to project your voice more to the surrounding crowd than to her. "An Ice-Feathered Illian Finch egg is slightly tinted blue! Anyone can see this is just brown! Brown! Like a chicken's egg! Only a completely brainless, ignorant miscreant would ever, ever think tha-"

"A hexopper piece! For you a hexopper piece!" The woman basically cried out, beseeching you to quiet yourself before everyone knew of her little secret.

You lowered the the egg from above your head, a pleasant smile on your face. Now that was a deal.

"I'll take twelve please," you mused. Once you had twelve chicken eggs in your little woven basket, you handed the lady two copper pieces. You then gave her another kind smile. "Pleasure."

The tattered woman watched you walk off as a sigh of relief left her lips before she went on to help the next costumer who came looking at the eggs on display. She then gave the same sale pitch she always gave about the Ice-Feathered Illian Finch eggs. The spiel that fooled most people.

~~~

You couldn't help the smile that stayed plastered to your face as you wove through the crowds of people and down the cobblestone roads. You were practically humming as you glanced down at the items in your little basket. To say you felt like you could fly wouldn't be an exaggeration. Inside your basket were the twelve chicken eggs along with four apples, a loaf of bread and a paper-wrapped wedge of cheese. For all that, your coin purse was missing a mere five copper pieces. You only ever had so much money to spend, so a day when you were able to purchase this much for such a small price was a good day indeed.