Tea Turning Points

Ernest wasn't wrong. A nice warm bath really did something to help you relax. Of course, it also helped that once you were done bathing, you would get to see Adelaide. Then, if Ernest's words were to be trusted, you would have hours of uninterrupted time to talk with her. The very thought of seeing her gave you quite the incentive to hurry along with your bath. You didn't bother with calling any maids to help you get dressed. You could manage on your own.

       The moment you were dressed you headed straight for your bedroom door. You opened it without hesitation. As always two guards were standing outside, alert as ever. You looked at one of them, a smile on your face which seemed to surprise him.

       "Could you please send for Prince Ernest? Let him know I've finished."

       "Yes, m' lady" was the man's short response before he left.

       You retreated back into your room, that smile still stuck on your face. You felt antsy. You wanted to do something, but you weren't sure what. Pacing the room didn't seem to help the time go by at all. Maybe you should sit down. Would it look strange if you were just sitting doing nothing when Adelaide arrived? It didn't matter either way, because the second you heard footsteps outside your door, you burst it open.

       There stood Ernest, and more notably, Adelaide. She didn't look hurt or malnourished, maybe a little tired, but nothing more. You watched as a smile made its way onto her face. Her pace quickened, and before you knew it, she was giving you a hug.

       Before any words could be exchanged, Ernest ushered you both back into your room and closed the door.

       "(Name), how I've missed you!" Adelaide exclaimed.

       "I missed you too." You responded before giving her another look over. You were about to continue, but Ernest managed to get a few words in himself.

       "As much as I would love to listen to you lovely ladies converse, I'll leave you two alone. You deserve a little privacy, besides I'm quite busy today. If you will excuse me." And with those words, Ernest was gone.

        It was surprising how quickly he left you two. You figured he would have stayed around, listening in on every word you would say, and should the conversation begin to head in a direction he didn't want, he would end it. But, that wasn't what he was doing. He was giving you and Adelaide privacy to discuss anything. It was shocking.

       Despite the shock, you turned your attention to more pressing matters.

       "Why don't we take a seat?" You offered Adelaide as you made your way to the small sitting area in the room. However, Adelaide didn't follow. Her eyes were fixed on the door that led out to the courtyard.

       "Do you think we can go outside for a little? It's been so long since the last time I've been out."

       "Of course, you don't have to ask, Princess Adelaide." You didn't have to say her name right then, but you wanted to. A name you were so used to saying which, as of late, had been spoken only to you. "Although, don't you usually turn bright red after only five minutes in the sun?"

       She seemed to catch your teasing as she replied, "Oh please, you know I can last at least ten minutes."

       The weather was rather nice. Not too hot and also not too chilly. The flowers gave off a wonderful scent that filled the garden, putting your mind at ease. The sound of the rustling of leaves reminded you of home and a time long gone when you could focus on the simple things in life. It was so peaceful.

       In the shade of a large tree, sat a little table surrounded by a few chairs where you and Adelaide took a seat. You weren't eager to waste time with small talk, at least not right away. You wanted to get straight to the point.