The Long Awaited Advent

When you had gotten home and reached your bed, you had passed out the moment your head hit the pillow. You slept so deeply that it felt as though only a few minutes had passed when the morning sun's rays were blaring in your face. You slowly opened your eyes before rapidly blinking them closed. You stretched a little, shoving your face further into your pillow before you shot up from your bed. You jerked your head from side to side before rushing to the window. The sun was up which meant you slept in. It must have been because you had stayed out so late with Henry the night before.

       In what had to be record time, you had yourself completely ready to begin your day just before you darted out of the empty servant quarters. You tried to run the shortest possible route possible to get to Princess Adelaide's room as fast as could be. You ran past a fountain and under a few trees, but it really didn't take to much time until you were in the main building of the royal castle and speed walking down halls until you arrived at Princess Adelaide's room.

       In your hurry, you nearly walked right into the princess's room without so much as a warning. Luckily, you caught yourself and instead made a movement to knock as you caught your breath from so much running. Once you had knocked on the door, rather than hearing the gentle "come in" you were used to you were surprised to see Princess Adelaide herself shoving the door open with an angry look on her face.

       You stood in place for a while, stunned at Adelaide's not so calm mood. She was rarely ever upset with anything, much less you.

       "Don't stand there! Come in," you heard Adelaide hurriedly huff. Needing no further instruction, you quickly stepped into the room before Adelaide shut the door behind you. As you turned to face her, she gave you a big hug. "Do you know how worried I've been?"

       "You were worried?" You questioned.

       "Of course was! I didn't know if you came back last night or not."

       "Oh. I came back late and I didn't want to wake you, so I just went to my bed." You attempted to explain yourself. "Remember, I'm always late. My parents should have just named me Late."

       Stepping away from you, Adelaide sighed before collapsing into her bed. "You're never this late."

       You walked over to her bedside. "In the future, I'll be sure to let you know when I get back. I'm sorry for worrying you, but let's not neglect the fact that half of your worries are caused by those books you read," you teased.

       "Untrue!" Adelaide hissed causing you to laugh. "I'm certain some of the things in books really do happen!"

       "They do, but the characters in books also have much more interesting lives than mine. I doubt I would experience everything they experience even if I actively tried."

       Adelaide cast her gaze down. "Still, I worry about what may happen to you alone at night. You aren't particularly strong."

       "I'm stronger than you, and I was with Henry. And Henry is 'particularly strong.' Besides, I often was alone and late back in our old kingdom." You tried to dispel Adelaide's worries. However, you knew she was really only worried because neither of you had been in Konicia long enough to know what to expect from the night streets. It could be filled with cutthroat thieves and merciless knaves for all either of you knew. "But, I shouldn't worry you like I did. How about I make it up to you?"

       Adelaide's frown quickly turned into an excited smile. "And how do you plan on doing that?"

       "Don't you want to go out again?" A grin spread across your face.