I'm Not Dangerous

I woke up, and I was on a hospital bed. I quickly formed my tail, just to make sure they didn't try to get rid of that gene. I changed back, and attempted to get up. I was strapped down, and as I looked at my surroundings, I realized that this wasn't a hospital.

"So, let's start off with your name." A man said.

"Why should I tell you my name?" I asked.

He stepped from the shadows. It was Hawkeye.

"I want to help you. I can't do that if I don't know your name, though." He calmly answered.

"Well, my birth name was Megan Colette Heartwood, but I go by Coco. I've went by Coco since I was twelve." I explained.

"Well, Megan, when did y-"

"I said my name was Coco." I snapped.

"Okay, Coco. When did your mutant gene activate?" He asked.

"I was three, it was about a week before I was almost taken." I don't know why I was explaining this to him.

"Were your parents mutants?"

"How about I ask a few questions." I answered instead of telling him the truth.

"Alright, ask away." He calmly answered.

"Where am I?" I asked.

"A S.H.I.E.L.D. base near Broadway." He answered.

"Why am I strapped down?" I angrily asked.

"Honestly, that was Cap's call. I guess it's so you can't strangle me with water." He told me, "I need you to answer my questions, that way this can be easier."

"Okay." I calmly answered.

"Were your parents mutants, or only you." He asked.

"I never met my parents. My mom died like two minutes after my birth and my father died a month before that." I answered.

His face softened, and he looked at me sympathetically.

"I'm sorry." He told me.

"It's fine. Everyone says I was born with the scale pattern on my legs. I didn't change form for the first time until I was three." I told him.

"Listen, my break just started. Someone else can come talk to you." He said as he walked out.

I closed my eyes as the door opened, and heard the new interrogator's footsteps. I opened my eyes, and much to my surprise, Captain America was removing the restraints.

"Clint told me how cooperative you were. I'm trusting you, but don't try anything." He explained.

"You treat me like I'm some kind of super villain. I'm a seventeen year old girl who just happens to have freakish powers." I snapped.

"Listen, I need to know about... well... those." He said as he pointed to the scale pattern on my legs.

"I don't get it. I was born with it. What's to know, other than how I was born with streaks of pink and blue in my hair and a scale pattern was on my legs." I explained.

"Then, I need you to come with me." He said calmly.

"Where? The lab where mutants are left to die?" I asked.

"No, and yes. We are going to a lab, but they won't kill you. They just need to run a few tests and then they will-"

"Don't lie to me! The mutants that I've known have been taken there, and they almost never escape! You're going to kill me!" I screamed, running to the door.

"Megan, don't freak out." He tried to calm me down.

"I'm going to tell you what I told Hawkeye. My name is not Megan! My name is Coco!" I snapped.

"Just don't freak out." He said, attempting to calm me down.

As he opened the door, I ran. I ran past agents and security. I ran through the doors, and I ran into the rainy streets.

"Stop!"

"You need to come with us!"

"We won't hurt you."

"Lies." I shout.

I run down the sidewalk, trying to find the nearest waterway. Finally, I see it. I could hear the voices behind me, trying to stop me. I dive in, my tail forming as I jump. I looked like a mermaid to them. I saw them looking down at me, some where climbing down. Others just stared at me, enchanted by how my eyes shimmered in contrast to the water or how my highlights were brighter when they were wet.

"She's... beautiful." One agent exclaimed.

"Beauty can be deceiving. She can't be allowed to escape." A soldier ordered.

I stared up at the Captain. He looked shocked by how I was able to escape, and yet enchanted by my new look.

"She can't be stopped. Captain, do you have any of those darts from before?" An agent asked.

"Yes." He said as he handed the agent a dart.

The agent threw it, and missed. Meanwhile, I felt a sharp pain in my arm. A soldier had shot me.

"Not so fast, Siren." The soldier shouted as he shot again, but missed.

I swam, clutching my arm. I heard an arrow whistle past into the water as a warning shot.

"Not so fast, Coco." I heard someone say.

"I don't know how else I can say this. I'm not dangerous!" I shouted to them.

"Like we would believe that. You nearly killed the Avengers!" A man shouted. I didn't recognize his voice.

"They came for me first." I calmly answered.

"Well, I did want you in my custody since you were three." He stated, "I didn't have Avengers then, only agents. I've wasted fourteen years hunting you down, and you just break out."

"Fury." I hissed.

"That would be correct." He answered.

"Give me one good reason I shouldn't drown you right now. You forced me to run. You caused me pain." I snapped.

"I'm the only person who knew the truth about your parents." He answered.

I felt like I had been punched in the gut. He knew them. He knew my parents.

"I had suspicions that they were mutants. When I sent an undercover agent in as a doctor, I discovered a certain birthmark on their unborn child." He explained, "I told them about how their child was a mutant, and that I could protect the baby, or they could try to keep it alive themselves, if they agreed to work with me."

"Why didn't you let them raise me without protection?" I hissed.

"You would've died. You were smaller than normal." He calmly stated.

"You didn't really want to protect me, you were just scared of what a mutant child could do. You're like every other human, you're afraid." I shouted.

The pain in my arm was getting worse. I was going to bleed out. I was going to die. I let out a pained cry as I tried to swim to shallow water. I pulled myself onto dry land, and held my arm.

"Fury, one of your soldiers shot her. She is in pain." Captain America said as he walked down to the where Fury stood.

"It's not my fault. If she would've gone in the lab like every other mutant, she would probably not be in pain." He snapped.

I blacked out right after he said that, and my ears were ringing.