Resistance

I woke up, but I was not where I expected. There were other teens around me, and I wasn't in any place like a hospital or cell.

"What is this place?" I asked the nearest girl.

"You're in the headquarters for the mutant resistance. We fought off a transport after receiving intel that the Avengers caught you." She explained, "I worked on removing the bullet from your arm, and Adelina made sure you had clean clothes."

I looked at my legs.

"I wasn't in this form when I blacked out." I told them.

"You must've changed back from pain. I saw the tail, and it was beautiful." Adelina stated.

"The Captain and his colleagues seemed interested in you. I heard they were going to take you into the lab." Another girl exclaimed.

"How did you save me?" I asked.

"The Avengers were in their pretty little jet, so we just had to knock out a few agents." The first girl said.

"Okay." I said as I got up.

I walked through the main room. There were injured and sick. The moans of the dying were coming from a corridor branching off from the room.

"Are you all escapees?" I asked Adelina.

"I am, and you are too." She answered.

I walked into another room. It was full of infants and children. Some were being comforted by people my age, and some were playing with wooden blocks.

"We saved them from S.H.I.E.L.D. when they were taken. We know that their child prisoners normally don't make it out." Adelina told me.

"They're so young." I said with a hint of sorrow in my voice.

One child had my scale pattern, but it was around her eyes. Another was speeding around the room without a care in the world.

"Adelina, we found another. We need you both to come immediately." A girl said.

She had tattoos of ravens on her collarbone. Her hair was jet black, and her eyes were gray.

"Last night we spotted a Quinjet fly over a house. The issue is, that's a safe house for mutants we save from them." The girl explained, "I think that she will be perfect to assist you, especially since there is a lake nearby."

"When do we leave?" I asked.

She handed me a gun, and ammo.

"You leave right now." She ordered, "Adelina, open a portal."

Adelina slid her finger through the air, creating a box shape.

"The safe house." She whispered, and the box became a portal.

I leapt through, and followed her to the house. The Quinjet was outside, and I heard screams inside. A moment later, half a dozen mutants were led outside by three agents and Captain America.

"Aim for the agents first, and then use the water on the big guy." Adelina ordered.

We each shot an agent, and I focused my energy on the water. A wave washed over the boundaries of the lake, and knocked the Captain off of his feet. The water flowed back to the pond, and he got up.

"Show yourself!" He shouted.

"Free the mutants." I told Adelina.

I dropped my gun, and stepped into the dim light from the house. He stared for a while, before walking over.

"You allied with them? They're killers!" He scolded.

"Better to ally with the people protecting the mutant children rather than the ones taking them." I hissed.

"That's enough." He said as he grabbed me, pulling my arms behind my back.

"Stop." I tried to tell him.

He covered my mouth with his hand, and bound my wrists with some wire. I felt helpless. He led me into the Quinjet, and took off.

"We're going somewhere they won't be able to hurt you from." He said.

I had a feeling I knew what he meant.