Chapter Four

(Rewritten as of 2024)

It didn't feel real. Any of it. Ravenpaw had explained to the clan the fight with Riverclan, how Oakheart had killed Redtail, and then claimed Sunningrocks as Riverclan territory. Due to his injury he had practically fell off of highrock, and now here he was laying barely conscious, with Spottedleaf beginning to treat his wounds.

Tigerclaw had returned with Redtail's body, but whilst most the clan surrounded the fallen deputy, I couldn't bring myself to leave Ravenpaw. I crouched just a tail length away, allowing Spottedleaf the room to treat him, but staying close enough to watch him. I dug my claws into the dusty ground, my anxiety only growing in my chest, praying to Starclan that he would make a full recovery. 

Pawsteps snapped me out of my rising panic, yet my nerves only seemed to worsen as I looked up at the cat that had approached. Tigerclaw. He was Ravenpaw's mentor, a trusted warrior, cat I couldn't stop the fur on my hackles from spiking up as I watched him stand over the injured tom. I'm just worried. I tried rationalising, yet I couldn't chase away the nagging feeling I felt in my gut.

"So, Spottedleaf." I could feel myself tense up as he spoke. "How is he? Do you think you can save him? I've spent a lot of time training him up, and I don't want my efforts to be wasted at the first battle." I was slightly stunned, his apprentice was lying unconscious, bleeding from a bad wound, and his only worry was that his time might have been wasted? I stared up at the mighty warrior in disbelief. 

"Yes, a pity is, after all your valuable training, he dies in his first battle, eh?" Spottedleaf responded to him, a teasing tone in his voice.

"Will he live?" Tigerclaw demanded.

"Of course. He just needs rest." At Spottedleaf's words, I felt myself relax. He was going to be okay.

But my muscles tensed once more as Tigerclaw raised a large paw and jabbed Ravenpaw. "Come on, then! Get up!" Ravenpaw didn't move. Every part of my body wanted to pounce at him ,tell him to back off, but I controlled myself. 

"Not so fast, Tigerclaw!" Spottedleaf placed her paw over Tigerclaw's, and gently moved it away. "This apprentice needs to keep as still as possible until the cut has healed. We don't want him opening his wound by jumping about trying to please you. Leave him alone."

The air felt tense as I waited for Tigerclaw's reaction, my claws digging deeper into the soil beneath them. The big tabby stiffened, and seemed about to speak when Spottedleaf mewed teasingly, "Even you know better than to argue with a medicine cat, Tigerclaw."

"I wouldn't dare argue with you, dear Spottedleaf." Tigerclaw purred. As he turned to leave, he noticed Greypaw and Firepaw. "Who's this?" He questioned, not having met Firepaw yet. I tuned out their conversation, my attention falling back to Ravenpaw once more as I took a small step closer, hoping Spottedleaf wouldn't mind.

Tigerclaw walked away, and with that Ravenpaw's ear twitched, and he began to stir. "Has he gone?" He mumbled. 

"Yes, he's gone now." I purred comfortingly, stretching out my neck and pressing my nose reassuringly against his fur. He sent me an appreciative smile.

"HI there." Firepaw began, about to introduce himself.

"Go away, all of you!" Spottedleaf protested. "How am I meant to help this cat with all these interruptions!" She impatiently flicked her tail at the three of us, and pushed her way between us and Ravenpaw.