The Boy Next Door

Millie's POV:

    It's 11:30 pm and I'm looking out of the window trying to clear my mind, stupid panic attack. Anyways for the past ten minutes Finn Wolfhard, the hottest guy ever, has been dancing around his room pretending to play air guitar. I have to admit he's making me forget about the tightness in my chest and my uneven breathing.

      As I stand up to climb back into my bed, his light is abruptly shut off and I can no longer see him. Why is it that the freak of the school, me Millie Brown, is so quick to catch feelings for the most popular boy in school who doesn't even know I exist.  I shake my head at how ridiculous I feel and slowly pull the covers over my body, slowly melting into the silk sheets that line my bed.

{6 am}

     I've never wanted to throw my alarm clock across my bedroom so bad.  I've been dreading this day for the past two weeks, I have to read what I think love is in front of my whole English class first period, the same English class as Finn. I'd be completely fine if the whole thing wasn't based on him, I would've written something else except this is some of the best work I've written.

     I slowly climb out of bed and go to the bathroom. I brush my teeth, straighten my hair and apply some makeup; nothing big just eyeshadow and mascara. Going back into my room I grabbed my clothes folded up nicely on my chair, got dressed and looked in the mirror. I looked somewhat decent in my light jeans, random band t-shirt and leather jacket; you can't forget my should-be white converse.

   I grabbed my backpack off the hook and ran downstairs to grab an apple and leave. I walked to school almost everyday bc it was only a block or two away.

{at school}

     I walked into the brick building and went straight to my locker, it's not like anyone was waiting for me because no one at school likes me. I twisted the lock and pulled down opening my locker, there was a note at the bottom of it. I picked it up eagerly hoping it was from Finn, but who am I kidding it won't be. I was right, it was from Sadie, one of his friends, she told me to kill myself. Tears sprang to my eyes and i quickly wiped them. Looking around I see Sadie and "her group" snickering at me, Finn was the only one shaking his head before he stormed off.

    The bell rang signaling it was time for me to go to English, yay time to read my essay. I walked into the musty room and sat down in my seat and waited for class to start.

     "Okay everyone today is the day we get to read our essays out loud!" Ms.Ryder said too cheerfully. The whole class let out groans of annoyance.

    "Okay Ms.Brown why don't you start us off!" The teacher spoke, staring at me. I reluctantly got out of me seat made my way to the front of the classroom.

    "What l-love means t-to me.." I stuttered nervously. I cleared my throat and began to read.

     "the way your dark eyes light up when you're happy melts me every time. Every damn time. I get those beautiful little butterflies in my stomach that make you feel queasy. you're gorgeous pale, freckled skin is beautiful. It makes me want more of you so I can cherish you. you are a mysterious creature to me though you're amazing but you can not be mine. you will not be mine. that's just the way love is. but you are lovely needless to say. you are what love means to me."  I finished off strong and for once I was proud of myself. All eyes were on me and the whole class was silent.

      Ms.Ryder spoke up, " Millie that was beautiful." She cheered and began clapping the class joined in.

     "Thank you" I whispered walking back to my seat. I couldn't help but fiddle with the hem of my shirt when I sat down.