Part of the Ship, Part of the Crew

Needless to say, that didn't go over to well.  I watched from the floor where Gibbs and the tall skinny man with the eye patch had tackled and pinned me, as Jack straightened his nose with a exaggerated jerk and a loud cracking sound.  I winced at the sound.  He motioned for Gibbs and the other guy to let me up.  They hauled me to my feet, Gibbs keeping a tight hold on the back of my shirt, just in case I tried to do any other bodily harm to the captain.  Good call on his part.

"Men, you may leave.  Gibbs you stay." Jack said, pacing around to the back of the room.  After the men left, I shrugged out of Gibbs' grip and plopped down in a chair, propping my feet on the table.  

"No please, make yourself right at home." Jack said sarcastically.  "Why thank you." I said, grinning at him in a way that I knew would piss him off.  To his credit, he didn't show it.  "So why are you here?" he asked, facing me.  I stifled a yawn.  "I'll tell you everything in a bit but could I get some food first?"  I grinned wider.  This time I saw his jaw tighten.  "You can't possibly be thinking of food right now."  he said.  "Easy for you to say," I said, holding my hand to my chest in mock hurt, "I haven't eaten for almost a week."  Jack scowled.  

"Gibbs," he finally said, "Please go get our . . . guest some food."  I had to hold in a chuckle because he was talking through clenched teeth.  "Cap'n?" Gibbs said.  "Now!" Jack roared.  Gibbs scurried out of the room.  Once he was gone, I tilted back in my chair, laughing.  Jack stared at me until I was done.  

"Aw come on Jackie, lighten up." I said, enjoying myself.  "You didn't used to be this uptight.  Is this what becoming a pirate does to you?"  I gave another small laugh.  Now, despite all my bravado and candid laughter, inside I was seething.  At the moment, I couldn't decide between anger, extreme sadness, and happiness.  The first two were currently winning.

"How did you get on my ship?" Jack asked, sitting in the chair opposite of me.  He put his feet on the table to so that we were mirroring each other.  "You call this a ship?"  I asked with barely a glance around the decrepit room we were in.  "Shut your mouth." he growled.  "I can either answer your questions or shut up. I can't do both." I told him.  I was being a smart ass and I knew it, I just liked seeing the effect it had on him.  It was pretty hilarious.  

He took a deep breath to calm himself.  "How did you get on my ship?" he asked, a mask of calmness.  "I walked on." I lied.  "It was pretty easy considering your amazing crew was drunk."  Jack didn't react.  The shock of seeing me was wearing off and he was turning back into the brother I remembered.  One that could handle anything.

"Why are you here?" he asked.  "I told you, dad sent me."  Jack frowned.  "Why didn't he come himself?"  I chuckled.  "You really think dad would come to you personally?  I'm just surprised he didn't ever send me sooner."  Jack sneered.  "Yeah, I'm sure you were the most qualified." I glared at him.  "So," he said, "Once again, why are you here.  And don't tell me just because dad sent you."

I hesitated, while Jack stared expectantly at me, waiting for an answer.  Thankfully, I was saved by Gibbs.  He came back in with a plate of food and a bottle of, you guessed it, rum.  He set it down in front of me and, without any thoughts of manners or other dignities (I had been living among men for most of my life plus I hadn't eaten in several days so cut me some slack) I tore into my food.  I was halfway through when I remembered to breathe.  I guzzled some rum while Gibbs and Jack looked at me with varying degrees of disgust.  I didn't care.  Finally I managed to force myself to slow down.  As I slowly ate the rest of my meal, Jack began to ask me questions.  

"So how's life back home?"  I shrugged.  "Same as ever I guess." I replied.  "How's granny?"  He asked.  "You actually still care about that old bat?" I scoffed.  He chuckled lightly in spite of himself.  "Gone." I finally said.  "She wandered off a few years ago.  Hasn't been seen since."  And most of the day passed like that.  Uncle Blake, hung in Port Royal.  Auntie Rosette, blown off the map near Barbados.  Granddad, retired to Singapore.  In case you haven't figured it out, we're a family of pirates.  Just saying.