Disturbance In Veronica

Amunis III, Day 30, Year 502

One month passed since Layna had first been taken under Leo's care, and she was gradually becoming more and more acclimated to her new life. When Leo first carried Layna within the city of Veronica, she was on the brink of death, a dangerously low weight and her terribly knotted hair was beginning to thin due to a lack of proper nutrition. Now, Layna was beginning to reach a safe weight and no longer required Leo to carry her everywhere as her legs were now strong enough to support the rest of her body. Her platinum silk hair was also beginning to regain its natural luster, beautifully reflecting the sunlight off it. She was currently in the garden that Sarah looked after in the backyard of the house picking tomatoes and checking for any invasive bugs that could ruin the crops. Just then, she heard her name being called from inside the home.

"Layna come inside, supper is ready!" Sarah shouted from the open window next to the kitchen.

Sarah was a woman with a shapely figure who stood about 5½ft tall. Her soft and straight brown hair, which reached to the bottom of her back in length, was currently in a ponytail to keep it out of her way as she cooked. Much like Geuche, her eyes were red, which signified the blessing of the fire god Agnis. Having the blessing of Agnis allowed Sarah and Geuche to control fire, though to somewhat varying degrees due their differences in combat strength. Sarah could control fire just enough to perform tasks such as heating the stove and oven which allowed her to cook without depending on the various other heating tools that people with other divine blessings had to depend on, and could fight off small beasts like goblins. Geuche could control his fire ability to an impressive degree and was able to fight off monsters of a much larger scale, but how gifted he was with his ability was still a mystery to Layna, as Leo did not go into the details of his old friend's fighting prowess.

Layna's left eye was also red, so she could control fire as well, but she also had a grey right eye which signified the blessing of Amunis, the god of wind. Having two different blessings allowed Layna to control two different divine gifts, though she did not contain the skill to do so yet. Leo, much like Layna, was also an impure who could control different divine gifts, his green left eye signified the blessing of Mara and could control the land, and his blue right eye signified the blessing of Salacin who controlled the oceans. Like he did with Geuche, Leo did not go into detail about his own divine and combat prowess when explaining this to Layna, but given that they were both regarded as the two strongest fighters in the city of Veronica, Layna gathered that they were quite impressive.

"How many tomatoes were ready?" Sarah asked Layna as she walked inside from the garden

"There were only six today." Layna replied, sounding disheartened.

Noticing the young girl was feeling down, Sarah shot her a soft smile.

"Six huh? That should be more than enough for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, and I suppose we could whip something up without tomatoes easily for supper."

As Sarah said this, Geuche and Leo walked through the front door, both in their fighting gear. Leo was wearing the same outfit as when he saved Layna from the Forest of Ruin with the exception of the green vials attached to the back of his belt, and Layna noted that he almost never brought those along when he went out with Geuche on patrols. Geuche wore an orange, long sleeved tunic with three throwing knives harnessed to each of his upper arms. He wore the same black pants, shoes and gloves as Leo, but instead of reinforcing his clothes with divine energy as Leo had, he was wearing leather armor pieces. He had two longswords harnessed to his back, and each sword had a total of 4 medium sized holes running along the middle of them. He had his hair tied back into a bun, as he always did when going out onto patrols, while Leo kept his medium black hair slicked back as always.