The Young Girl's Training Begins

Mara I, Day 3, Year 502

"Leo?! LEO?!" Layna awoke in a panic, desperately calling for her guardian.

                "Had it all been a dream? Was Leo never truly here? Am I still alone?" these thoughts raced at lightspeed through Layna's mind as she sat there all alone on the verge of tears. Just then, Sarah opened the door.

                "Layna?! Thank Agnis you're finally awake!" Sarah said with a breath of relief.

                "Sarah, where is Leo? What happened to the Liches attacking Veronica" Layna asked, clearly anxious.

                "Leo is out at the Forest of Ruin with Geuche and Turk inspecting the barrier's strength, but all three of them should be returning shortly."

                "Ok" Layna replied, still anxious but slightly more relaxed.

                An hour had passed since Layna had finally awakened after being unconscious for five days according to Sarah. As she sat and ate the breakfast that Sarah prepared for her, Leo, Geuche and Turk all walked through the front door.

                "Leo!"

                After hearing his name be called out in such a cute voice, Leo perked up and looked around hurriedly until he finally saw his adopted daughter running towards him at full speed. With outstretched arms, he picked the little girl up.

                "Layna! You're finally awake! This has been the longest five days of my life, how was I supposed to survive that long without hearing your cute voice?!" Leo gushed as he tightly hugged Layna, who was hugging him just as tightly around his neck.

                Leo set Layna down, and his expression turned serious in the blink of an eye. He looked at Layna straight into her eyes.

                "Layna, I'm sorry"

                "Leo?"

                "I'm sorry I failed as a guardian and allowed you to get hurt, but I promise I'm going to correct my mistake now." Turning around to face Turk, who felt out of place watching that entire exchange, Leo shot him a quick grin.

                "Turk, meet your new junior disciple."

                "Wait, What!?" everyone said in unison.

-

                Two days had passed since Leo declared Layna as his new disciple seemingly out of the blue. Still bewildered, Layna looked up at Leo while he was brushing her hair.

                "Leo?"

                "Yes?"

                "Why did you make me your disciple? Did I do something wrong?" Layna asked in an anxious voice.

                Leo sat the brush down and picked Layna up to sit her in his lap. He then proceeded to explain his reasoning to Layna.

                "Layna, you're hands down the greatest blessing anyone could ask for, but unfortunately, being an impure puts you at a substantial risk."

                "A risk"

                "Yes. What happened after the battle against the Liches was only one example, but there are some you have not encountered yet. Living in the town of Veronica, you're protected by my reputation in the town, so being an impure has never truly stood out to you" Leo clenched his fists, then continued to speak, "but when you venture out of this town, the whole world is against you. Not only the monsters and demons, but your fellow humans as well."